Being and Nonbeing

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

Magritte
Re: Being and Nonbeing

Post by Magritte » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:46 am

met wrote:thereby implying there is some Godlike part in us
I don't know about God, but there's certainly some being in man, or more properly, man is "in" being, so being is not in principle unknown to us.
One of the hallmarks of freedom is that when you recognize someone is being intellectually dishonest or arguing with you in bad faith, you have the option to walk away without being punished, imprisoned or tortured.

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:50 am

Jim B. wrote:You wrote that being exists:
No. Being cannot come from non being, Some form of being must exist eternal. Ground of being is necessary.
What gives? Did you mean beings?
I think we're just bumping up against the limitations of language here. As well as some shooting from the hip on a messageboard. My reading is that Metacrock means that transcendent being necessarily *IS*, that it is real, that it is actual, not that it "exists" in the sense of a being alongside other limited beings.
One of the hallmarks of freedom is that when you recognize someone is being intellectually dishonest or arguing with you in bad faith, you have the option to walk away without being punished, imprisoned or tortured.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:34 am

Magritte wrote:
Jim B. wrote:You wrote that being exists:
No. Being cannot come from non being, Some form of being must exist eternal. Ground of being is necessary.
What gives? Did you mean beings?
I think we're just bumping up against the limitations of language here. As well as some shooting from the hip on a messageboard. My reading is that Metacrock means that transcendent being necessarily *IS*, that it is real, that it is actual, not that it "exists" in the sense of a being alongside other limited beings.
right. Hartshorne god Tillich to accept using exsit of God if you mean it metaphorically, I oten don't bother make it clear when I've told everyone a thousand times what my views are
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:36 am

Magritte wrote:
I don't know about God, but there's certainly some being in man, or more properly, man is "in" being, so being is not in principle unknown to us.
being is not an adative like some chemical.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:44 am

Metacrock wrote:
Magritte wrote:
being is not an adative like some chemical.
Sure, I was being a bit facetious when I said "there's some being in man". Any limited thing that is, is in being, or exists only because there is being, or is contingent on being, or however you'd like to phrase it. I think this relationship is related to what you call utter dependence.

met

Post by met » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:48 pm

Magritte wrote:
That's interesting....what more exactly do you mean?

IOW - can contingent processes grasp necessities and, if so, how? ;)
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

met

Post by met » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:20 pm

Magritte wrote:Either there just is and always has been being in some manner, or else being can come from nonbeing.

Do we all agree on this, or are there third, fourth and fifth options I've overlooked?

In a sense, perhaps....what about the Copenhagen interpretation of QM? Non-realism, aka "reality is quantum, get over it" - suggesting "being " only exists as potentialities in the absesnse of an observer?

If so, how does that affect your "being/non-being" dichotomy here?
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:35 am

Met, the scenarios you're describing presuppose and implicate being.

I think the shortest path for you to undermine the necessity of being would be for you to describe a way that things could go from a situation of utter and absolute nonbeing to a situation of anything whatsoever. This is not a rhetorical request. I'd like to see you do this.

met

Post by met » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:23 am

Okay, I shall try, just for the sake of conceptual clarification. Even tho, yeah, what you ask for would be really hard, & the best I can try for is only to blur the lines between 'something' and 'nothing', I think.

I agree that behind QM theory, there still seems to a statistically describable stasis, which does seem like a 'something' (something of some kind that could be described, like eg, in string theory) but what if we broaden the idea? What if, along the lines of French philosophers Meillasox and Deleuze, we try to think 'ground of being" as just a vast glob of 'irrational becoming', an uncountable (non)set of purely spontaneous, unlimited possibilities, of "anything at all can happen"? That seems to me, perhaps, not quite 'something' - but not really 'nothing' neither. If you agree with this, does that suggest the concept of 'being' (and even being the ground of being) infers some limitation?

IOW, does 'being' always infer 'being something'' ... ie something in particular?
Dr Ward Blanton

Jim B.

Post by Jim B. » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:52 pm

Metacrock wrote:

right. Hartshorne god Tillich to accept using exsit of God if you mean it metaphorically, I oten don't bother make it clear when I've told everyone a thousand times what my views are
I know you aren't saying that God or being 'exist' the way pencils and trousers exist. But you've said that being is, it partakes of being, even if it's not an existent. If we could enumerate all the things that are, would being be among them? Maybe 'being' in the broader sense of being real, not in the sens of being an instance of itself(?)