I am angry: the Jeckels keep taking them away

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

Metacrock
I am angry: the Jeckels keep taking them away

Post by Metacrock » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:15 pm

on a board where I post regularl a firend who had stood by me in argument before, and one whom I thought was moderately strong in faith, just went over to atheist side and has become a mocking derisive troll. I'm looking for those pods man!

How do they do that? This person had I had made fun of them in IM's for show shallow and unread and silly they are, now she's saying the same stuff she was making fun of.

Message boards are just a hazard zone. anyone with faith they will assault and try to crush their egos. It's not a place for any kind of rational discussion. She put up a post saying religion is harmful, I posted four pages wroth of studies (326 studies) saying religion is the best thing going, psychosocially, physically, every other way, and she just keeps spouting the same one liners. "religion is so harmful, there's no God, atheism is about reality, belief in God is a fairytale."

this all come over night. She had started sounding more sarcastic and more withdrawn, took down her prayer avatar, but then suddenly she's full blown mocking troll.

I am angered all the more and disillusioned, because it's so useless. No amount of reason will help, they refuse to even see it as reason. Empirical studies don't' make any difference. despite their almost worshiping attitude of science, when I have overwhelming studies verses none for them, they just ignore it, those don't prove anything. they were all done by preachers.

they so ignorant so vastly ignorant. these are fine studies by social scientists they have nothing to do with preachers, they are done by secular people, and yet they say "those are preachers who asked their people in email if they are happy." These are done by major famous sociologists like Abraham Maslow, but of course they don't even know who he is.

angry angry angry!!!!

I may just scrap the blog and the board and just quite. I mean what difference does it make?
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

ZAROVE

Re: I am angry: the Jeckels keep taking them away

Post by ZAROVE » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:26 pm

Actually its a normal Psycological Phoenomenon that Im lucky that my apathetic, depressive mind is immne from. (Granted the cost is beign a bit cynical and, of ocurse, depressed, but, ah well.)

The problem is Exposure to somethign breeds familiarity, which breeds a sort of acceptance.

Psycology students are familiar iwht similar syndrmes, like the Helsinci syndrome, in which people tend to identify with thir captors over a long period of time.

She spent a good deal fo time on Athist boards, debatign Atheists, and thinkign along their lines, and eventulaly succumed to it.

In the same way, an Athiest may begin to attend a Church regularly, because a fiend askd, and gradully coem to beelive in it base don costant exposure.

But, I digress.

unred typo

Post by unred typo » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:57 am

Z wrote: “Actually its a normal Psycological Phoenomenon that Im lucky that my apathetic, depressive mind is immne from. (Granted the cost is beign a bit cynical and, of ocurse, depressed, but, ah well.)”

*insert LOLROTF smilie* I donno why but this made me suck coffee up my nose. I guess I can relate so well. I just put on my too blond wig and smile away.

p.s. Love the typo, ‘ocurse,’ too. :mrgreen:

p.s. Meta, you have my sympathies. *insert emoti-hug*
The truth will stand with you but man-made doctrines will melt away like cowards in the battle.

KR Wordgazer

Post by KR Wordgazer » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:06 pm

Metacrock, I will pray for your friend. I don't think a switch like this comes all at once, but gradually-- and I also believe that just because one of the Good Shepherd's sheep has strayed from the fold, doesn't mean all is lost. We have it on Jesus' own authority that He will not rest till He brings her back.
Wag more.
Bark less.

Reed_Rothchild

Post by Reed_Rothchild » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:21 pm

Psycology students are familiar iwht similar syndrmes, like the Helsinci syndrome, in which people tend to identify with thir captors over a long period of time.
Its "Stockholm sydrome".

ZAROVE

Post by ZAROVE » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:24 pm

Yeah sorry, I made a mistake.