link between meaninglessness and current state?

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

Metacrock
link between meaninglessness and current state?

Post by Metacrock » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:36 am

Is there a link between how fucked up things are and lack of conviction about meaning at the top o the metaphysical set up.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

Magritte

Re: link between meaninglessness and current state?

Post by Magritte » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:08 am

But as I've shown in the being and nonbeing thread, there's meaninglessness at the top of the metaphysical hierarchy; being cannot have come into being, and so cannot have been brought into being for a purpose.
One of the hallmarks of freedom is that when you recognize someone is being intellectually dishonest or arguing with you in bad faith, you have the option to walk away without being punished, imprisoned or tortured.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:47 am

Magritte wrote:But as I've shown in the being and nonbeing thread, there's meaninglessness at the top of the metaphysical hierarchy; being cannot have come into being, and so cannot have been brought into being for a purpose.
not true. it doesn't have to have been brought in for a purpose to have a purpose, there is an eternal purpose.

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:43 am

Metacrock wrote:not true. it doesn't have to have been brought in for a purpose to have a purpose,
Then it follows that even if man wasn't created for a purpose, man can have a purpose.
there is an eternal purpose.
If there's an eternal purpose, then it can't be contingent because it can't have been created. I don't think you can demonstrate that there's an eternal necessary purpose the same way you can demonstrate that there's eternal necessary being. I mean, purpose does not necessarily follow from being. There's no inherent contradiction in denying an eternal purpose. You'd have to establish that there's eternal purpose separately from the logic of being.
One of the hallmarks of freedom is that when you recognize someone is being intellectually dishonest or arguing with you in bad faith, you have the option to walk away without being punished, imprisoned or tortured.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:32 am

Magritte wrote:
Metacrock wrote:not true. it doesn't have to have been brought in for a purpose to have a purpose,
Then it follows that even if man wasn't created for a purpose, man can have a purpose
false man is contingent he has to take his purpose from a higher source, Nothing higher than God, God's purpose doesn't does not have to have started up up from a time of no purpose in order to be a purpose. Man's purpose ca't e self made because it';s meaningless.
there is an eternal purpose.
If there's an eternal purpose, then it can't be contingent because it can't have been created. I don't think you can demonstrate that there's an eternal necessary purpose the same way you can demonstrate that there's eternal necessary being. I mean, purpose does not necessarily follow from being. There's no inherent contradiction in denying an eternal purpose. You'd have to establish that there's eternal purpose separately from the logic of being.[/quote]

If God has will and volition and consciousness on some level, however transcendent, hen there would have to be purpose.