Correlationsim and Realism

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

Jim B.
Correlationsim and Realism

Post by Jim B. » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:32 pm

So I found this link:

https://larvalsubjects.wordpress.com/20 ... tionism-2/

I can see how correlationsim and realism could both be valid. Once we rule out Kantian correlationism, which is both too sweeping and too modest. Yes, we can only know things as they present themselves to us just as the blind man only knows the sidewalk through the feel of the walking stick in the palm of his hand. If you ask me to think about the Eiffel Tower, my mind will be filled with different images and memories-- I went there on a cold Tuesday in November and it was closed. But I'm not thinking about these associations, I'm thinking by means of them. If I draw a picture of my house, I have to use pencil and paper, lines and colors, but I'm not making a drawing of a drawing of my house. This leads to infinite recursion. Polanyi wrote about this. I'll have to give him another look.

Metacrock

Re: Correlationsim and Realism

Post by Metacrock » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:30 pm

who brought this up?
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

met

Post by met » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:07 pm

Meta, this started up in of our discussion of Quentin Meillasoux, a contemporary French philosopher with a growing & notorious reputation...& his idea of "the God who isn't but might someday come to be".... a couple years back. :o

Jim, I should mention that (as I noticed) that blogger's definition of realist and correlationist isn't exactly the same as QM's, who seems to consider everyone since Kant who came before his own generation, except (I think) his teacher Badiou, to all be correlationists. That guy categorizes some of them - eg Delueze & Bruno Latour - as "realists." So it's at least slightly different.

... I will look around some more on that site...
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

met

Post by met » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:31 pm

Jim, he atually has a whole free book available....
http://www.openhumanitiespress.org/book ... f-objects/

Quoting Max Planck, Marshall and Eric McLuhan write, “A new scienti c truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it”.6 This appears to be how it is in philosophy as well. New innovations in philosophy do
not so much refute their opponents as simply cease being preoccupied by certain questions and problems. In many respects, object-oriented ontology, following the advice of Richard Rorty, simply tries to step out of the debate altogether. Object-oriented ontologists have grown weary of a debate that has gone on for over two centuries, believe that the possible variations of these positions have exhausted themselves, and want to move on to talking about other things. If this is not good enough for the epistemology police, we are more than happy to confess our guilt and embrace our alleged lack of rigor and continue in harboring our illusions that we can speak of a reality independent of humans

PS - yeah, I think an ontological realist with a background in Lacan - i.e. psychoanalysis - is an interesting character!
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

sgttomas

Post by sgttomas » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:01 pm

Jim B. wrote: But I'm not thinking about these associations, I'm thinking by means of them. If I draw a picture of my house, I have to use pencil and paper, lines and colors, but I'm not making a drawing of a drawing of my house. This leads to infinite recursion. Polanyi wrote about this. I'll have to give him another look.
SAME!! ....I have two of his books sitting on my shelf at the moment.

Do you have Meaning? I'd love to read through it with you, or something like that. (btw, Meaning is symbollically sitting atop After Finitude in the stack on the shelf :geek: )

Peace,
-sgttomas
Prophet Muhammad (God send peace and blessings upon him) is reported to have said, "God says 'I am as My servant thinks I am' " ~ Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol 9 #502 (Chapter 93, "Oneness of God")