good statments addmittng I'm smart

Metacrock vs All comers; other can also reserve. this is for 1x1 debate, please do not respond if you are not specifically demarcated as part of the debate.

Moderator:Metacrock

Metacrock
good statments addmittng I'm smart

Post by Metacrock » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:57 pm

farmer John on carm 12/8/08

Quote:
What really amazes me is how someone with your obvious intelligence (and interest in the subject) can actually be religious. What's up - are you scared to let go or something?

Thanks for jumping in there. Always enjoy reading your posts!!!
Sate of atheism on carm 11-19-2008 04:31 PM Charles C. You have to expect that. If they ignore too long the truth God has given them´, God will allow their hearts to be hardened. When they one day get their proof, they will be fist-shaking God (post rapture)
Sate of atheism on carm 11-19-2008 02:01 PM aussiedave Pray for 'em bro, and look for opportunity to give 'em scripture in love. Cheers.
State of the Atheism... 11-19-2008 06:50 AM Notorious For making me laugh, because you can't be serious.
Would you know God... 11-15-2008 11:43 PM Sunofmysoul awesome post meta....
God and Conscouisness 11-13-2008 11:37 PM MaxMainspring Great, now just get rid of the doctrines.
Do the Laws of Logic... 11-12-2008 06:50 PM Aiiwc I bet you are in the double digits of rep points from atheists on this one.
laws of physics 11-09-2008 07:35 AM Undead2 Awesome Argument!! Slam dunk
Jesus mythers fial BOP... 11-07-2008 05:12 AM aussiedave I gotta hand it to you Meta, you do a power of work in here for our Lord. Blessings.
An argument against the... 11-06-2008 03:35 AM Gwarlroge
what happened last night 11-05-2008 03:01 PM fleetmouse Congratulations on making history with your new president - good history!
Realizing God 11-04-2008 08:05 AM abdul hady
The Paradox of Inaction 10-26-2008 11:24 PM flyingweasel I admit, I didn't get it. lols in your court. =)
Historical Jesus easily... 10-25-2008 11:17 PM Sunofmysoul oh meta...I know theres a couple meanies here, but it is not ALL of them...don't let the meanies still the show...stay calm, and rule the day...I love you! soms
Historical Jesus easily... 10-25-2008 05:23 AM Asimov Points for douchiness.
Historical Jesus easily... 10-24-2008 05:55 PM J. Sloan Very Good, keep it up!
Unravelling the Jesus... 10-23-2008 05:50 PM aussiedave Good onya Meta.
Historical Jesus easily... 10-23-2008 04:47 PM Cuz You've done an excellent job in defending the historical Jesus in all of these threads!
theology lesson 1: what... 10-14-2008 12:49 PM tom210489 nicely put
N/A 10-13-2008 05:06 PM Occam THAT was funny.
please, please help me... 10-11-2008 05:49 AM Am
Did Jesus Really Rise... 10-11-2008 05:39 AM Lebeke1 Wow. Great response.
Who created God? 10-09-2008 08:48 PM aussiedave Thanks Meta - sometimes i don't think of everything and am too lazy to go look for it!
self intorduction 10-08-2008 02:02 AM Angst
a useful exercise 10-03-2008 07:43 AM Undead2 Very nice thought experiment, well done
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

Metacrock

Re: good statments addmittng I'm smart

Post by Metacrock » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:06 pm

* Edit post
* Delete post
* Report this post
* Warn user
* Information

Re: everyone is stupid

Postby Superfund on Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:31 am
I been following your debates on carm at work(i been lurking here for a long time =). Hanz or (whatever his name is) was completely & utterly uninspiring. I was bored to tears with his point of view, his quibbling & unwillingness to really engage you was... dissapointing. It was like chalk & cheese arueing about cooking, but you don't use chalk to cook ;).

Your quote from tilich ( the one about depth) really summed it up but like i say he was'nt willing to go there. i found his employment of "logic" facesious & boring.. he really revealed himself too many times as a a patsy for his own critique. all citisism is ultimatley self critisism and with any depth of thought you could see further & further into the superficiality of his point of view.

I was also following the other debate.

i was disapointed your Dr friend had to quit for family reasons you introduced as proud & privaledged to debate etc. his answers were thought provoking & intelligent but you gave him no quater. i was disapointed when he could'nt continue..

I'd just like to say that i appreciate your arguments & i'll be reading some tilich. (whom i did'nt previously know of.)

the edit is "all people are stupid " topic title do i detect an abscense of compassion? Emotional intelligance is the key here. :) 77 times isnt it?

Superfund

* Private message

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:24 pm

* Edit post
* Delete post
* Report this post
* Warn user
* Information

Re: TS argument

Postby fleetmouse on Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:37 pm
What interests me about the TS argument is how it parallels TAG. It's sort of a more refined TAG, one that doesn't insult the intelligence with that smugness that makes me want to smack someone.

I don't think it falls into the same fallacies that I've seen TAG defenders step in either, and that's because you have a philosopher's understanding of what logic is and not a superstitious yokel's. So instead of ridiculously positing "logic" at the core of everything, you have this much deeper and subtler concept of an organizing principle. And that has an intuitive appeal, because it seems to me that there is a parallel between intellectual organizing principles and the way things in the natural world appear to spontaneously self organize. And so it seems to me that what you're saying complements and extends rather than contradicts the worldview of naturalism.

I'm going to read your background material on Derrida and come back to this later.

edit: your two part essay on Derrida was terrific. I had thought from things you'd said earlier on CARM that you'd misunderstood Derrida but now I see that you just disagree with him, and I think you're performing a rescue-hijacking of the TS, like a philosophical Bruce Willis - Die Hard. :mrgreen:

fleetmouse

* Private message

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:06 am

Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:05 am

runamokmonk wrote:

I love Moatlmann. One of my profs in seminary was a student of Moltmann at Tubengin. He was one of his graduate students. I got to take a class with that guy.

Yeah cool...Actualy, you introduced me to him, but indirectly. When I was going through some long hard times and had no faith and felt god abandoned me and could very well be something very much malelovent, I'd find myself at your doxa site, reading Christ's cry of dereliction. That didn't give me faith in God though, I just identified the cross and his cry, as godless, and identified with it...And I also felt that popular and "orthodox"intrepretations of Jesus sacrifice as hurtful (and still do), but some things you said about the cross didn't seem so hurtful to me.

In some of your posts it seems you feel as though all your work has been worthless. I don't think it has been...I don't think you should ever feel that way. I have this hunch that even though I felt abandoned by God and felt godless and angry, it was possibly God giving me something...

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:02 pm

Paul McKinnon email on AOl to me, April 15, 09

Hi Joe -
Just in case you ever wonder if the effort you put into your blogs is worthwhile, I'd just like to say, "Joe, live forever!" I stumbled upon your work, and I just wanted to tell you it refreshed me immensely. My feelings about philosophy is similar to my feelings about Rugby League - I'm too old and slow to do it myself, but I sure do enjoy watching from the stands.
God bless,
- Paul

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:05 pm

Ron Cadre Blog april 15, 09. on TS argument

This is an interesting argument. In the spirit of critical thinking let me offer some objections.

In regards to P2, just because we can't have a livable view of reality without reliance on the TS doesn't mean that the TS really is a thing in reality. Imagine an island where unbelief in the tooth fairy causes instant death. Let's re-word P2 to say: "We have no choice but to assume some reality of the tooth fairy since we cannot function coherently (indeed we cannot function at all) without a tooth fairy." The fallacy here is easy to spot.

Besides this, I find the argument compelling. The more I read, the more I come to understand that "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God," is not just a theological truth but a philosophical one as well.

4/14/2009 11:51:00 PM

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Thu May 28, 2009 9:30 am

someone named Bob Smith, May 28 2009 email to aol
I'm so glad you have a website. I'm sure it has helped unknown amount of people besides me. I will paypal you soon.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:11 pm

rvhill wrote:Why are you worried about what other think of your IQ? Idiocracy has been the norm fo the whole of human history? if you are intelligent the average moron is not going to understand you and therefore will not see you are intelligent.

I dont know. I used to be able to say that but that's when I had a Ph.D. and a career to look forward to. All I have now is poverty and SSI and no one understanding.

But that's not really true and it's not really the way I see things. But It is on the surface, the way it would look to other people who can't see what's going on inside me with God.

I guess eventually I'll get to a point where that will be healing and I wont need to remember good statements people make about me.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:59 pm

june fith on carm true
1 true disciple
You nailed them precisely!

Postby Metacrock on Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:21 pm
Re: do me a favor?

Sent at: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:26 pm
To: Metacrock
Hey, btw. Thought you might like to know that I don't have a terribly vast list of places I visit regularly on the internet. In fact, here's the list:

- Doxa
- ESPN's basketball blog, "Truehoop"
- XKCD.com

I guess I should say it more, but I am very grateful for your presence on the web.

Peace,

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:21 am

Re: do me a favor?

Sent at: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:26 pm
To: Metacrock
Hey, btw. Thought you might like to know that I don't have a terribly vast list of places I visit regularly on the internet. In fact, here's the list:

- Doxa
- ESPN's basketball blog, "Truehoop"
- XKCD.com

I guess I should say it more, but I am very grateful for your presence on the web.

Peace,
-ryan

sgttomas

* Private message