Christianity and Buddhism

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

Quizalufagus
Christianity and Buddhism

Post by Quizalufagus » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:59 pm

Pretend for a moment that I'm a Buddhist seeking Nirvana (i.e., perfect Buddhist enlightenment). Is there anything to motivate me to convert to Christianity? If so, what?
Scientology is a dangerous cult.

ZAROVE

Re: Christianity and Buddhism

Post by ZAROVE » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:52 pm

This is a broad queasiton that relies otoo much on multiple factors.

I'd have to know a good deal more baotu you. IE, is Buddhism not working? Are you havign doubts baotu it? What, exaclty, are your beelifs? Buddhism isn't a Monolith you know.

Peopel do convert rom Buddhism to Christianity, but their motivaiton is diverse, just as they are diverse as people.

So, I'd not know in a given generalised stance.

It really depends on too many variables.

Quizalufagus

Post by Quizalufagus » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:49 pm

Suppose for the purposes of this discussion that I'm a practitioner of Zen Buddhism of the Rinzai sect. I'm serious about liberating myself from samsara, I'm a monk, I'm not particularly traditional, I have no opinion of the supernatural, and I'm generally happy. Why should I convert to Christianity?

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:13 am

Quizalufagus wrote:Pretend for a moment that I'm a Buddhist seeking Nirvana (i.e., perfect Buddhist enlightenment). Is there anything to motivate me to convert to Christianity? If so, what?
And,
"Suppose for the purposes of this discussion that I'm a practitioner of Zen Buddhism of the Rinzai sect. I'm serious about liberating myself from samsara, I'm a monk, I'm not particularly traditional, I have no opinion of the supernatural, and I'm generally happy. Why should I convert to Christianity?"

Gday mate.

I say, why shouldn't you simply stay as you are. The truth is, no one but you really cares what you do or who you follow, except maybe some righteous religious so called Christian fanatics who go about trying to personally convert the entire world, something even Jesus Christ and all the apostles could not do when they were here?! The facts are these. There is a difference between getting the message out there and converting someone. Converting people is not our job as far as I am conserned. In my humble opinion I believe thats God's job. If and when people come to me and "ask," "Haz, tell me what you know about God?" I tell them what I know, no more. I dont try to convert anyone, I mean, what If I am wrong, and give false information? I would personally be held responsible

Unless you are personally in any way interested in Christianity and thereby in becoming a follower of Jesus Christ rather than Budda and them other things you mentioned, then my advice to you is that you may as well, no, infact you should go on doing what your doing, no holds barred, untill maybe, the following happens to you? ? ? If the Bible is to be believed then one simple Scripture tells it all;

"No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day" (John 6:44).

If the Father exists, and if Jesus Christ exists, and if the Father draws you, you can kick, scream, pass out, call the devil for help, hide, cry, laugh, it all wont matter one bit. If God draws you, you will know you have been drawn. Then its up to you as a free moral agent to decide what you wish to do, go to Him, or run in the opposit direction.

Theres not much more anyone can say really?

Haz.

unred typo

Post by unred typo » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:09 am

Here’s a verse that has kinda tweaked my imagination about that:

Act 16:6 Now when they had gone throughout Phrygia and the region of Galatia, and were forbidden of the Holy Ghost to preach the word in Asia,

Just wondering why and what you wrote brought it to mind. Later, chapter 19, they did go there and preach, apparently. So what do you guys think of that?
The truth will stand with you but man-made doctrines will melt away like cowards in the battle.

ZAROVE

Post by ZAROVE » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:27 am

Yo seem not to understand what I'm gettign at.

What woudl motivate one man to convert would not nessisarily motivate another man to convert. It czn't just be some generic, Hyothetical Zen Buddhist Monk, as it won't work the same for each.

One Zen Buddhist Monk will convert because he is simply taught i and shown a logical origression that clicks in his head about the Christian Faith, another will convert because he sees in JEsus CHrust the Culmination fo Buddhistic principles, yet anoher iwll convert because he begins ot see Buddhism as menignless and empty and Christainity as thus the solution.

Its not a clear-cut topic, and certianly not somehtign oen can address witout knowing exaclty who they are dealign with and what said oerson beleives.

tinythinker

Post by tinythinker » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:13 am

There appears to be an undertone to the conversation in which it presumed that religious affiliation is the primary concern of the individual rather than the experience and insight of the individual. There are Christians who practice their Christianity in a mystic way that may share similiarities with or even borrow some perspectives/practices from Buddhism. In fact, that is one reason why Father Keating decided to revitalize and reintroduce the contemplative aspects of the Christian tradition. It isn't that all of these Christians were rejecting Jesus, they simply weren't able to find a full view/experience of God in the more conventional liturgy alone. On the other hand, there are Buddhists who see Jesus as a fully Enlightened Being. They have no need to formally "convert" because their connection and understanding is not limited simply to rituals or labels. They can embrace Christ as some Buddhists embrace a favorite Bodhisattva, and put his image or symbol next to those of other inspirational figures, or they can embrace him in the way some Buddhists do a particular Buddha, such a Vairocana Buddha or Amida Buddha, as the primary representative and embodiment of Ultimate Reality.

In the latter case, such Buddhists may become Christian-Buddhists, or even refer to themselves as a form of progressive Christian with Buddhist leanings, but that does not necessarily entail a formal "conversion". So far we have been dealing with cases where Buddhist views and Christian views may be similar or overlap. There are also of course cases in which the Buddhist is convinced of the more conventional Christian view of exclusive salvation, or in which it is easier for the Buddhist to go to a Christian church because the spouse and spouse's familt are Christian. As Zarove said, the reasons why a Buddhist may choose to convert to Christianity are numerous. The reasons why any particular Buddhist would be convinced to so are as individual as the person.

My real question would be, "Why would a Zen Buddhist be asking others how they would try to convert him/her?"
Adrift in the endless river

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:16 pm

man I don't know. my question is, why would anyone be a Buddhist when he could be a Taoist?

The east doesn't make those kind of distinctions as much. They are not hung up on "I'm a this ist" I"m I that ist." In Japan and even in China you have people who are Buddhists and Taoists at the same time. The Japanese had a formal weeding cerimiony in the middle ages, married off the sun goddess to the moon god and united Buddhism and Shinto as a single faith. Then the clergy of each one divied up duties and split the work. so Buddhists do the weddings, and Shinitis do the funerals. So everyone in Japan who is either one is also automatically the other. Then there are some who do that and also take part in little unknown folk religions, and Japan has several of them.

Mediation is not specific to a religion. one can do yoga, chi gung, ti chi, Kung fu, TM or any other meditation and be a Christian or anything else.

Its on the west that we make such a big deal out of those divisions. however, for me I think the bottom line of the Christian tradition is Christ himself. that's the diving line. you are not a Christian just barbecue you think Jesus was a great guy, nor even if you think he was the greatest great guy. It's more than that. There has to be a devotion to Jesus himself and an understanding of his atonement on the cross and how it effects your salvation. but that doesn't negate understanding other views or pracities of meditation.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:36 pm

Hi Metacrock.
"No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day" (John 6:44).

Many are called mate, few are chosen. Why? because they refuse to believe. Even the disciples were upbraided by Christ, not for their lack of understanding, but because of their unbelief!

"Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen" (Mark 16:14).

"And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father. From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him." (John 6:65-66).

Hay, see that? disciples turned and walked with Him no more John 6;66. 666,ironic! Never noticed that before. Not that this is anythig to do with believing or not.

Haz.

Quizalufagus

Post by Quizalufagus » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:22 pm

Metacrock wrote:however, for me I think the bottom line of the Christian tradition is Christ himself. that's the diving line. you are not a Christian just barbecue you think Jesus was a great guy, nor even if you think he was the greatest great guy. It's more than that. There has to be a devotion to Jesus himself and an understanding of his atonement on the cross and how it effects your salvation. but that doesn't negate understanding other views or pracities of meditation.
This is really the definition of "Christian" I was thinking of in my OP. Why would a Buddhist need or want salvation?