Lee Atwater’s Southern Strategy

This is the place for secular issues.Discuss society and Politics, social action, the Christian identity and chruch's place in the world. We can also discuss science.

Moderator:Metacrock

fleetmouse
Lee Atwater’s Southern Strategy

Post by fleetmouse » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:43 am

It has become, for liberals and leftists enraged by the way Republicans never suffer the consequences for turning electoral politics into a cesspool, a kind of smoking gun. The late, legendarily brutal campaign consultant Lee Atwater explains how Republicans can win the vote of racists without sounding racist themselves:

You start out in 1954 by saying, “Nigger, nigger, nigger.” By 1968 you can’t say “nigger”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, forced busing, states’ rights, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, blacks get hurt worse than whites.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “Nigger, nigger.”

Now, the same indefatigable researcher who brought us Mitt Romney’s “47 percent” remarks, James Carter IV, has dug up the entire forty-two-minute interview from which that quote derives. Here, The Nation publishes it in its entirety for the very first time.
Lee Atwater’s Infamous 1981 Interview on the Southern Strategy

There's also a pretty interesting metafilter thread on the topic.

Metacrock

Re: Lee Atwater’s Southern Strategy

Post by Metacrock » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:02 pm

It didn't work
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

Metacrock

Re: Lee Atwater’s Southern Strategy

Post by Metacrock » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:38 am

my southern strategy: 5th of southern comfort.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief