looks like it's just us

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
ZAROVE
Re: looks like it's just us

Post by ZAROVE » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:21 am

Well, Doctor Who was a Science Fiction show that, unlike Star Wars, did not really focus on those themes.

Until Russel Davies took over, the show wasn't really Anti-Religious, but the shows main thrust lay in three basic types of stories.

1: Monster of the week episodes. In which soem sort of monster was doign soemthign to some group of peopel soemwhre and had ot be stopped. Or, threatened the Doctor and his COmpanions direclty and had to be stopped.

The usual monster story.

2: The more invovled plots featuring either Historical events ( mainly in he firts Doctors run, nd soem int he second) or a hisorical setting, or that featured an invented itme or place, that showcased a proper dramatic tension between the Charecters, and emhaissed some very human, but ultimaltey general, theme. THese woudl be such as a tyrant rulign a planet that needed ot be overthrown, or the need for a sick town to get a medicind ot help them.

Of ocurse it also featured peope who direclty threatened the Doctor or whom he had a direct rivalry with, such as the Master, and his deires to take contorle fo the Universe, or find a means to Immortality, or to overthrow a civilisaiton to gain power, ect...

3: THose which dealt with Phoenomenon, such as the need to escape a blakc hle whihc had them trapped, or an odd energy pulse ina nebula which coudl destory them, ect...

There are very few actual Biblicla themes in Docgtor Who, as it stuck mainlywiht the general Sci-Fi elements.

There are mroe Bilical elements and themes in Star TRek, which was created by, and base dupon the beleifs of, an avowed Atheist and Secular Humanist.

DOctor Who was created as a Childrens show by the BBC, and was not relaly base don any spacific value or worldview, but was userped to reflect the vlaues of Davies. THe odler shows aren't relaly stressing any wordldview at all.

If you want a Sci-Fi/Fantasy shwo that has Biblical Parrallemls, you can look at either Star Wars, whichw as crreated by a Liberal Christain who was a didiple of Joseph Campbell, and hwo based his entire story on the "Hero cycle" that Campbell thoriesed, and craged it to insire young folk to seek God, or Babylon 5, which was written by an Atheist but which has numeorus Biblila themes, as Strazynski is a "Classical Ahtiest" and doens't see the need to abolish CHristendom, as the ethos can be used to shape moral Charecter, and the Bible as literatue still explores Human themes. ( Much like THomas Huxley beelived, but not quiet identical.)

Another Sci-Fi show that havbe a vauge CHristain element are BattleStar Galactica, which is acutlaly based enturley on Mormon beleifs. ( Glenn Larson, the shows fcreator, is a member of the Churhc of Jeuss CHrust of Latter-Day Saints, and the seires is built upon Mormon theology)

I never liked Battlestar Gallactica, in ts original form or the new incarnaiton, which is not base don Mromonism, but, thats just me.

The Fantasy stories of J.R.R. Tolkien also have much Christain thoguth in them, TOlkein beign Cahtolic.

As does, obviously, the ork of C.S.Lewis.

There are also teo sets of books abouttheh Rapture and end-times. Now, as an Amillinialist I do not endorse that theology, but woudl accep tit in fiction.

THe firts, which is infirior in my mind, is "Left Behind". It is weakly writen and too preachy.

The next is "The Christ CLone Tirlogy", which is so well written theat it acutlaly makes you root for the Anti-Christ in the seocnd book. THis may be a distiurbin recocmendation, but the fact that the Anti-CHrist appears good is far, far more Biblcially sound than one that you know is evil and wodln't follow. Nicolae Csarpathea is too cartoonish at times, and too clealry evil. Not that the two-dimensional heros help matters.

The payoff is in book 3.

Soem claim to see Christian themes in Harry Potter. I detest Harry Poter, not because I am on soem boycott of it ase don the wichcraft, btu because its a dull book wiht an annoying main charecter, which is nohign btu a High Shcool drama with magic added.

Christain themes are also said ot appear in SUperman Returns, but I'd certianly avid makign the parrallels in that film.

There re others, of ocurse, suh as the recently released "I Am Legend", starring Will Smith, or 2007's "Golden Compass", meant as the Antithesis. Acutlaly, th hwole "His Dark Mateials" book seires is Anti-Christain and the reverse, but oen can discuss why Christendom is vendicsated in he books, if not in th storyline taken as is, by the undertones and themes explored by the author.

But that woudl be a more studious conversation.

And at this, I'll stop as this post izs long.

There ar emany other boosk or SHows that have CHristaint hmes, or that oen can find Christin thmes in rathe rintended or not, but I think many woudl surpass Doctor Who in this regard.

This is not to say Doctor Who is bad, just that I don't see the Christain themes int he show, which is acutlaly good sicne its suppose to be otherworldy.