Different concepts of omnipotence.

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
mdsimpson92
Re: Different concepts of omnipotence.

Post by mdsimpson92 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:00 am

Actually, I want to bring this back because I think the concept of omnipotence is worht covering. Could God technically violate his goodness? Or how about the issue that most process theorists bring up, such as the covenants and God's tendency to make deals in the Old Testament.
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:03 am

Also I found this (on wikipedia wierdly enough but it is quoting Hartshorne.

My notion would be, that anything which possesses any sort of power to affect another, or to be affected by another, if only for a single moment, however trifling the cause and however slight the effect, has real existence; and I hold that the definition of being is simply power.

— Plato, 247E
Power is influence, and perfect power is perfect influence ... power must be exercised upon something, at least if by power we mean influence, control; but the something controlled cannot be absolutely inert, since the merely passive, that which has no active tendency of its own, is nothing; yet if the something acted upon is itself partly active, then there must be some resistance, however slight, to the "absolute" power, and how can power which is resisted be absolute?

— Hartshorne, 89

The argument can be stated as follows:
1) If a being exists, then it must have some active tendency.
2) If a being has some active tendency, then it has some power to resist its creator.
3) If a being has the power to resist its creator, then the creator does not have absolute power.]

met

Post by met » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:34 pm

mdsimpson92 wrote: Could God technically violate his goodness?
Over-anthropomorphism? Could love become "not love?"

mdsimpson92 wrote:Or how about the issue that most process theorists bring up, such as the covenants and God's tendency to make deals in the Old Testament.
... like deals with children?

(But the point in the other thread is better, IMO... lemme think about that! )
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:57 pm

met wrote: ... like deals with children?
Or the Israelites and the covenant, or Abraham on multiple occasions etc. Why I bring that one up is that God cannot unilaterally bring about all logical possibilities. Such as a deal between God and a man. It takes two to tango so to speak.

met

Post by met » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:17 pm

God may have chosen to do it that way and still been able to bring it about unilaterally, had God chosen to do it that way....

The question is why didn't he then? And, as Hartshorne asks, if God's will is always efficacious, is there really anything else but God?
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:45 am

met wrote: God may have chosen to do it that way and still been able to bring it about unilaterally, had God chosen to do it that way....

The question is why didn't he then? And, as Hartshorne asks, if God's will is always efficacious, is there really anything else but God?
I think his answer is basically "in a sense no, because in an sense everything is a part of God." In that case God would technically be all powerful in the sense of being ALL POWER. But I'm not sure how that would work with the traditional sense of omnipotence.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:01 pm

excellent topic. I have long argued that the term "omnipotent' needs to be rethought. On the blog I did a piece recently where I discussed the fact that the term as it is used in Greek in the NT is not related to ability but to jurisdiction. The term is "pantorapor" meaning "power of all" but in terms of jurisdiction. God has authority in all places and all instances, not that God can do anything we can say; God can't make Thursday be Tuesday and keep the calender the same. He can't make square circles. He can't smell next week.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:48 pm

Metacrock wrote:excellent topic. I have long argued that the term "omnipotent' needs to be rethought. On the blog I did a piece recently where I discussed the fact that the term as it is used in Greek in the NT is not related to ability but to jurisdiction. The term is "pantorapor" meaning "power of all" but in terms of jurisdiction. God has authority in all places and all instances, not that God can do anything we can say; God can't make Thursday be Tuesday and keep the calender the same. He can't make square circles. He can't smell next week.
Huh, maybe you should post an article on that subject. I would be interested because I normally hear the St. Thomas Aquinas view generally.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:45 am

mdsimpson92 wrote:
Metacrock wrote:excellent topic. I have long argued that the term "omnipotent' needs to be rethought. On the blog I did a piece recently where I discussed the fact that the term as it is used in Greek in the NT is not related to ability but to jurisdiction. The term is "pantorapor" meaning "power of all" but in terms of jurisdiction. God has authority in all places and all instances, not that God can do anything we can say; God can't make Thursday be Tuesday and keep the calender the same. He can't make square circles. He can't smell next week.
Huh, maybe you should post an article on that subject. I would be interested because I normally hear the St. Thomas Aquinas view generally.
good idea. Maybe I'll work on it for tomorrow's blog piece.

Here is one I did once in answer to an atheist argument that Christians are re-defining omnipotence to avoid incoherence.

http://metacrock.blogspot.com/2012/09/a ... tance.html

here's a blog thing I did answering our buddy Fleet on some omnipotence related issue:

http://metacrock.blogspot.com/2013/01/o ... -love.html
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:53 pm

Thanks for that Meta. So the question is now is what is the limits of God's power aside from logical possibility.