Can God know the future?

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
mdsimpson92
Re: Can God know the future?

Post by mdsimpson92 » Sat May 18, 2013 10:03 pm

Metacrock wrote:
mdsimpson92 wrote:Also, it begs the question of whether God is completely outside time or partially temporal.
God can still know the future if he's not outside of time. He would know it probabilistically.
Right, probabilistically, and he would logically know each of those possibility, what he wouldn't ABSOLUTELY know what will happen. That would make sense.
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sun May 19, 2013 9:31 am

mdsimpson92 wrote:
Metacrock wrote:
mdsimpson92 wrote:Also, it begs the question of whether God is completely outside time or partially temporal.
God can still know the future if he's not outside of time. He would know it probabilistically.
Right, probabilistically, and he would logically know each of those possibility, what he wouldn't ABSOLUTELY know what will happen. That would make sense.
that's right. But since there does seem to be something to the idea of space/time and they do take multiverse seriously, then there probably is a reason to think God is outside of time.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

met

Post by met » Fri May 24, 2013 1:08 pm

that's right. But since there does seem to be something to the idea of space/time and they do take multiverse seriously, then there probably is a reason to think God is outside of time.
What IS the present and the future in the first place? Time is hard to understand. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... Tm55Y&NR=1
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sat May 25, 2013 12:15 pm

met wrote:
What IS the present and the future in the first place? Time is hard to understand. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... Tm55Y&NR=1
I agree. some say it's just the rate of change in decay of matter. I don't know

met

Post by met » Sat May 25, 2013 9:13 pm

It might not be possible to know. The 'fish in water' problem. But I don't think most open theists or process theists are so motivated by the difficulty of describing what 'outside time' looks like as Miles is, more by the theodicy issues around God's foreknowledge. (Just as i was saying above.... :) )
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sun May 26, 2013 8:02 am

met wrote:It might not be possible to know. The 'fish in water' problem. But I don't think most open theists or process theists are so motivated by the difficulty of describing what 'outside time' looks like as Miles is, more by the theodicy issues around God's foreknowledge. (Just as i was saying above.... :) )
Yes I think that is probably true. I have a hunch that there's more to time than the just the rate of change as well. I read a book about time once, by guy named Frausure. Time the Familiar Stranger. He says there different levels of time, clock time, decay of particles, rate of change in the natural world, and so on.

met

Post by met » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:42 pm

I remember learning Hartshorne 's free will argument from Urbie - on HTWA, must have been about 9-10 years ago now - "if I know indisputably that tomorrow you will do X, is there any sense in which tomorrow you will be free to NOT do X?" I thought that was pretty devastating. If anything is known with certainty about the future, then the future must be as fixed as the past. No matter if God exists inside or outside of time, if he has perfect foreknowledge, no place exists for free will at all.

But, as that video I linked points out, some results in quantum theory / particle physics suggest or can be interpreted to demonstrate even the past may not be fixed, in some mind-bending way.

.... maybe all bets are off now? :o
Dr Ward Blanton

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:13 am

met wrote:I remember learning Hartshorne 's free will argument from Urbie - on HTWA, must have been about 9-10 years ago now - "if I know indisputably that tomorrow you will do X, is there any sense in which tomorrow you will be free to NOT do X?" I thought that was pretty devastating. If anything is known with certainty about the future, then the future must be as fixed as the past. No matter if God exists inside or outside of time, if he has perfect foreknowledge, no place exists for free will at all.

But, as that video I linked points out, some results in quantum theory / particle physics suggest or can be interpreted to demonstrate even the past may not be fixed, in some mind-bending way.

.... maybe all bets are off now? :o
If God is inside time then there is no prefect foreknowledge becasue there is no future yet. It hasn't happened yet. foreknowledge would just be probability and that can't be perfect, becuase it has to have cracks (by definition it's only probable).

My thing about a thought in the mind of God also has the same out. since time is just a bench mark for our benefit it has no more hold over God than a day dream has over us, there's some other gadget for change for God from the divine point of view. Foreknowledge doesn't have to be perfect and the futuer is not a done deal in that scheme because God is the venue of beyond time rather than being subject to the venue.