Rabbi Moshe Alshekh

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
Metacrock
Re: Rabbi Moshe Alshekh

Post by Metacrock » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:25 pm

saedelm wrote:Hello I saw this quoted on your site

"Rabbi Moshe Alshekh (El-Sheikh) of Sefad (16th c.)
I may remark, then, that our Rabbis with one voice accept and affirm the opinion that the prophet is speaking of the King Messiah, and we ourselves also adhere to the same view.
-- Driver and Neubauer, p. 258.

Though this may seem to be speaking about the Messiah, I have the commentary and this is the full passage-

“My (not “our”) rabbis with one voice accept and affirm the opinion that the prophet is speaking of the King Messiah and we shall ourselves also adhere to the same view, The Messiah is of course David, who, as is well known, was "anointed", and there is a verse in which the prophet, speaking in the name of HaShem, says expressly, "My servant David shall be king over them" (Ezekiel 37:24). The ex-pression My servant, therefore, can justly be referred to David. And he made his grave with the wicked. I will show you an instance of this in the chief of all the prophets [Moses], who, by still suffering after his death, endured a heavier penalty than others who had suffered for their generation. Moses was buried away from the Promised Land,…”

I don't know what Driver and Neubauer were up to but it's about time the truth be known. I kindly ask youto find a copy of the Rabbi's commentary and see for your self.

This should be shared with all the other websites who have this "partial quote".

Peace

I am not sure that saying the Messiah is David is not the same as saying that he's the son of David. But the point is they do not say the SS of Is 53 is Israel! the say it is the Messiah, thats' the real issue.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief