The devil, Satan, Lucifer

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
SayaOtonashi
The devil, Satan, Lucifer

Post by SayaOtonashi » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:01 pm

I notice a few denominations reject the names aren't the same and Satan, the devil and Luciferare different Identities. Are their ? What verses show they are the same ?

The Pixie

Re: The devil, Satan, Lucifer

Post by The Pixie » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:15 am

SayaOtonashi wrote:I notice a few denominations reject the names aren't the same and Satan, the devil and Luciferare different Identities. Are their ? What verses show they are the same ?
Lucifer is a sarcastic name for the king of Babylon, and does not even appear in most modern Bibles.

Satan has two identities. Originally the Jews understood the satan to be an angel appointed by God to test a persons faith. The best example of this is in Job, when Satan is constantly testing Job's faith, with God's consent. This was how they explained bad things happening to good people - it was God testing you (hence, "Lead us not into temptation" in the Lord's Prayer; why else ask God to not lead you into temptation?).

Later, and probably after influences from the Babylonians, Satan became evil, an actual adversary of God.

Very early Jews had no Satan at all. The serpent in the Garden of Eden was just a talking snake - that is why God cursed all snakes.

As far as I know, devil is just a synonym for the later version of Satan (or perhaps Satan is his name, and devil is what he is?).

rvhill

Re: The devil, Satan, Lucifer

Post by rvhill » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:55 pm

Satan is a title, it mean he who stand in the way of human endeavor.