Jesus’s name

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
SayaOtonashi
Jesus’s name

Post by SayaOtonashi » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:40 am

I notice many sites and people have used many different spelling of Jesus’s Hebrew’s name which is Yeshus corrected? Why is that?

Metacrock

Re: Jesus’s name

Post by Metacrock » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:29 pm

SayaOtonashi wrote:I notice many sites and people have used many different spelling of Jesus’s Hebrew’s name which is Yeshus corrected? Why is that?
Jesus is anglicized Greek. Iasu is Greek, Iota ata sigma upsilon. the Greek comes from Hebrew Yeshua. When his Hebrew name is ot ran through Greek spelling but transliterated directly to English it is Joshua. Joshua in the OT has the same name in Hebrew as Jesus.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

SayaOtonashi

Post by SayaOtonashi » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:12 pm

Have you seen people using different words for Jesus’s Hebrew’s name? There is this whole sacred theology going on

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:27 am

SayaOtonashi wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:12 pm
Have you seen people using different words for Jesus’s Hebrew’s name? There is this whole sacred theology going on
Yes I have seen that but they are mixed up. It comes from the name we take as Joshua it means Ywh (I abreviate the name) is salvation. Two forms of the name for Jesus in Hebrew, Yeshua and yeshoaw or something like that not sure of spellimg on second one.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief