"No, that's not how God works."

Discuss either theological doctrines, ideas about God, or Biblical criticism. I don't want any debates about creation vs evolution.

Moderator:Metacrock

Forum rules
(1) be interesting (2) be nice.
MonolithTMA
"No, that's not how God works."

Post by MonolithTMA » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:45 pm

I wanted my full subject to be "No, that's not how God works." or Why do people put God in a box?

Anyway.

My fiance, Robyn was having a discussion with our friend Elizabeth about our wedding plans and the details of marrying an atheist and a liberal Catholic. I wandered back into the room and Robyn filled me in on the details and once again mentioned my atheism, which launched Elizabeth into a series of questions about my beliefs. Mind you, when I sent my letter to my friends and family explaining my new disbelief in February of 2008, she and her husband responded with "We are so sorry that you have decided to turn your back on God." This was the first time since then that we have discussed my beliefs at any length. I should note that we are friends with Elizabeth and her husband Jim, and that they are conservative evangelicals in their theology. I spoke a little about how while I did not currently believe in God I was fascinated by religion and spirituality in general and often wondered if perhaps there may be some source behind it all. Elizabeth said that she had asked Jim once if maybe God was behind all the world's religions and it was only our interpretations that gave us the differences. Jim's reply was the subject of this post, "No, that's not how God works." I pointed out that no one can be 100% certain how God works and that it was frustrating when people tried to put God in a box. I briefly mentioned, with my incredibly limited understanding of it, the whole God as the ground of being thing and mentioned Tillich, but the conversation sort of petered out after that. It's so frustrating to be discussing God and or spirituality and seem to be going somewhere only to be shut down with "No, that's not how God works." Of course, I used to think exactly like him, so that makes it even worse.

The purpose of this post was more to vent than anything else. Thanks for listening/reading and I'm open to any comments as always.
Peace,
Mike aka MonolithTMA

"The idea that the truth of God can be bound in any human system, by any human creed, by any human book is almost beyond imagination for me." -- John Shelby Spong

Metacrock

Re: "No, that's not how God works."

Post by Metacrock » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:08 pm

brianwestchest wrote:I'm with you, Mike. No one understands how G-d works. Furthermore, if you think you've got G-d all figured out you've just limited any growth you might experience. One thing in life I am certain of and that is my understanding of G-d is incomplete.

I don't know if it's conceit or fear that causes people to declare they've got G-d all figured out. But, the Bible contradicts anyone who says he knows the mind of G-d. Isaiah 55:8 says:
“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. 9“As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.
My view of God is much more like Tillich than the traditional Christian who views G-d as a big old man on a throne. G-d is the Ground of All Being. G-d is the spirit that pervades the entire comos. G-d is the still small voice within each human being. My friend Bob and I were just discussing whether or not this precludes a personal G-d. I don't think so. Bob seemed to think that because I said G-d is not a person, I meant G-d is not personal. To me, G-d is more than personal. G-d is totally unique, beyond compare and beyond comprehension.

Just yesterday I posted a story on Facebook that just shows you how weird the world is. A guy had prayed to be saved from being trapped in an elevator. He was saved. He went to church to give thanks and as he prayed in the church an 800 pound stone altar fell on him and crushed him to death. Not to be cruel. But, maybe you should run that story by your friend and see what He thinks G-d was thinking.

I don't think I have God figured out at all. I like Tillich too. But the atheists antagonists (not mike) push one to try to say more than one should say.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

MonolithTMA

Post by MonolithTMA » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:20 pm

Metacrock wrote: I don't think I have God figured out at all.
I know you don't and that's why I posted here. This community is great! Sadly, I don't participate enough.
Metacrock wrote: I like Tillich too. But the atheists antagonists (not mike) push one to try to say more than one should say.
Atheists, like many people, dismiss things without fully investigating them. That's fine as along as one isn't actually arguing against the thing being dismissed. Sadly, too many of them do it anyway.
Peace,
Mike aka MonolithTMA

"The idea that the truth of God can be bound in any human system, by any human creed, by any human book is almost beyond imagination for me." -- John Shelby Spong

MonolithTMA

Post by MonolithTMA » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:34 pm

Glad you signed up here, Brian. I think you'll find some good discussion here.
brianwestchest wrote: I don't know if it's conceit or fear that causes people to declare they've got G-d all figured out
I think part of it is a defense mechanism against fear that has been built up, It's very comforting once you convince yourself you are 100% right about God, trust me, I've done it. ;-)
brianwestchest wrote: My view of God is much more like Tillich than the traditional Christian who views G-d as a big old man on a throne. G-d is the Ground of All Being. G-d is the spirit that pervades the entire comos. G-d is the still small voice within each human being. My friend Bob and I were just discussing whether or not this precludes a personal G-d. I don't think so. Bob seemed to think that because I said G-d is not a person, I meant G-d is not personal. To me, G-d is more than personal. G-d is totally unique, beyond compare and beyond comprehension.
I think many interpret the ground of being concept of God as the same as the god of Deism. Cold, impersonal, but as you say if " G-d is the spirit that pervades the entire cosmos." then he would be anything but impersonal.

brianwestchest wrote: Just yesterday I posted a story on Facebook that just shows you how weird the world is. A guy had prayed to be saved from being trapped in an elevator. He was saved. He went to church to give thanks and as he prayed in the church an 800 pound stone altar fell on him and crushed him to death. Not to be cruel. But, maybe you should run that story by your friend and see what He thinks G-d was thinking.
A sad and tragic story. I remember the book Why Do Bad Things Happen To Good People? I never read it, because I was a kid when it was popular, but that is one of my biggest obstacles to belief in God aside from not identifying anything in my personal life as God. When I was a Christian I had answers to those questions, but I find those answers dissatisfying now. I can guess the answers my friend would give.
Peace,
Mike aka MonolithTMA

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:30 pm

MonolithTMA wrote:I wanted my full subject to be "No, that's not how God works." or Why do people put God in a box?

Anyway.

My fiance, Robyn was having a discussion with our friend Elizabeth about our wedding plans and the details of marrying an atheist and a liberal Catholic. I wandered back into the room and Robyn filled me in on the details and once again mentioned my atheism, which launched Elizabeth into a series of questions about my beliefs. Mind you, when I sent my letter to my friends and family explaining my new disbelief in February of 2008, she and her husband responded with "We are so sorry that you have decided to turn your back on God." This was the first time since then that we have discussed my beliefs at any length. I should note that we are friends with Elizabeth and her husband Jim, and that they are conservative evangelicals in their theology. I spoke a little about how while I did not currently believe in God I was fascinated by religion and spirituality in general and often wondered if perhaps there may be some source behind it all. Elizabeth said that she had asked Jim once if maybe God was behind all the world's religions and it was only our interpretations that gave us the differences. Jim's reply was the subject of this post, "No, that's not how God works." I pointed out that no one can be 100% certain how God works and that it was frustrating when people tried to put God in a box. I briefly mentioned, with my incredibly limited understanding of it, the whole God as the ground of being thing and mentioned Tillich, but the conversation sort of petered out after that. It's so frustrating to be discussing God and or spirituality and seem to be going somewhere only to be shut down with "No, that's not how God works." Of course, I used to think exactly like him, so that makes it even worse.

The purpose of this post was more to vent than anything else. Thanks for listening/reading and I'm open to any comments as always.

actuallky I think that is something like how God works.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:32 pm

I think many interpret the ground of being concept of God as the same as the god of Deism. Cold, impersonal, but as you say if " G-d is the spirit that pervades the entire cosmos." then he would be anything but impersonal.
I know they do. It's hard to communicate especially when people don't want the communication.

MonolithTMA

Post by MonolithTMA » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:13 pm

Metacrock wrote:I know they do. It's hard to communicate especially when people don't want the communication.
But that is the key. The folks here at Doxa are trying to better understand the world and that includes the unknown. Many of the atheists you deal with have no interest in the metaphysical or spiritual so they aren't trying figure it out. That's why you butt heads with them.
Peace,
Mike aka MonolithTMA

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:56 pm

MonolithTMA wrote:
Metacrock wrote:I know they do. It's hard to communicate especially when people don't want the communication.
But that is the key. The folks here at Doxa are trying to better understand the world and that includes the unknown. Many of the atheists you deal with have no interest in the metaphysical or spiritual so they aren't trying figure it out. That's why you butt heads with them.
well yea bu they pretend to want to know. they are always asking for proof and evidence.

MonolithTMA

Post by MonolithTMA » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:57 pm

To attempt to refute perhaps.
Peace,
Mike aka MonolithTMA

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:33 pm

wow that's really a terrible story.