Enough technology

This is the place for secular issues.Discuss society and Politics, social action, the Christian identity and chruch's place in the world. We can also discuss science.

Moderator:Metacrock

sgttomas
Enough technology

Post by sgttomas » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:45 am

When do we have enough technology?

How would we know?

Who would decide?

Can we believe in the supposed salvation of mankind from all our ills through technology? What are our ills? What technology can calm and uplift a darkened soul?

The reality of the world is that our technology has no appointed end, and if polled, perhaps most people would think of us populating the stars, or "solving" death.

There is no thought behind this. There is no principle, except "more" and "without God".

Believers should be very skeptical of technology. It's my ambition to be able to study how certain Islamic civilizations understood the relationship between society and technology. I have heard from some people who have studied Islamic history, civilization and law, that technology certainly had a principled role in society.

And if we have anything of a principle for technology in this society, though there is no reason to believe that our past has any principled connection to our present, or to our future, we can understand that science and technology was for subverting nature towards the aims of man.

Do as thou wilt. :evil: (you know what I mean?)

Peace,
-sgttomas
Prophet Muhammad (God send peace and blessings upon him) is reported to have said, "God says 'I am as My servant thinks I am' " ~ Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol 9 #502 (Chapter 93, "Oneness of God")

rvhill

Re: Enough technology

Post by rvhill » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:42 pm

Technology is nether good or bad it just is. It humanity that is flawed. Technology is the end of freedom, but we can’t go back. Take mental augmentation, as an example. If don’t right would be a very good thing, but if done wrong will be the worse thing possible. If they put windows 10 on your brain you are fucked. If they pot a Linux on your brain that would be ok. If they put a back door into your brain, then group think is what you will have. No decision you make will be your own.

sgttomas

Re: Enough technology

Post by sgttomas » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:13 pm

I have heard it said from some people who think deeply on the subject that technology DOES have values. Technology comes WITH a worldview. As they say, "to the man with a hammer, everything is a nail".

A gun isn't value neutral. Yes a gun can be used for "good" or "bad" but it is primarily used for killing, and it does so without the grizzly need to really be any where near your victim. Murder therefore becomes easier than if you had to run a knife through someone repeatedly.

-sgtt
Prophet Muhammad (God send peace and blessings upon him) is reported to have said, "God says 'I am as My servant thinks I am' " ~ Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol 9 #502 (Chapter 93, "Oneness of God")