Hello,

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

vbm62
Hello,

Post by vbm62 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:12 am

Meta, you wanted discuss Gnosticism?

Metacrock

Re: Hello,

Post by Metacrock » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:29 pm

vbm62 wrote:Meta, you wanted discuss Gnosticism?
yes good to hear from you. glad you made it.

I would like to ask you to say not only your beliefs but how you deal with the obvious passage about "Christ came in the flesh." I said no one here would bug you about it, and we wont. no one is going to say "O you are evil of the devil." Yet if you don't mind I would like to hear what you feel about it. You don't have to say of course.

I don't want to second guess what you think. I don't know much about the modern gnostic movement. I feel that the ancinet "gnostics" were only gnsotics because the Orthodox labeled them. They were a collection of different groups, some were heretical and some where not but for one reason or another they all wound up on the wrong side of chruch power.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

vbm62

Post by vbm62 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:53 pm

"Christ came in the flesh."
Christ is a title, throughout history there were many avatars of Christ - High Level
spiritual being. Jesus was the most important avatar of Christ as was intended for the entire human race.
the way I read Scripture - Gnostic types/ hermetic types were original pneumatic Christians intended to teach and spread
Jesus's doctrines.

James S Saint

Post by James S Saint » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:22 pm

What is the distinction between the Gnostic and ye-ole typical Christian?

met

Post by met » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:37 pm

The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

vbm62

Post by vbm62 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:01 am

"What is the distinction between the Gnostic and ye-ole typical Christian?"
the core of distinction is to found in 1Cor 2 14-15.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:22 am

vbm62 wrote:"What is the distinction between the Gnostic and ye-ole typical Christian?"
the core of distinction is to found in 1Cor 2 14-15.
So in a sense your enlarging the circle which formerly held only the Jews, as the heralds of Christ, and putting pagans in it as well?

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:27 am

I think it's more helpful to see Gnosticism as analogs to the new age movement. I don't say that in the pejorative. Although I view "New age" as a negative connotation I don't say that for that reason. The similarity I see is that gnosticism was spread over more than one religion and it constituted a specific way of looking at it. Christianity was just one carrier.

That may not be the "in" view point but I hold it. I don't think it's exactly the old view piot either. Like the pre Nag Hammadi way of looking at it I think it's obvious there was pre Christian non Christian Gnosticism. Nag Hammadi proves that. There were purely Jewish groups that had the same kinds of beliefs that would latter be called Gnostic. the Seth literature was not Jewish or Christian. It was Persian. So there clearly was a non Christian pre Christian gnosticism.

vbm62

Post by vbm62 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:37 am

"So in a sense your enlarging the circle which formerly held only the Jews, as the heralds of Christ, and putting pagans in it as well?"
Even the most ancient shaman had functions of Christ - he would enter Spiritual world
to intercede for his people as well as he would be a psychopomp in the afterlife.

vbm62

Post by vbm62 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:52 am

"I think it's more helpful to see Gnosticism as analogs to the new age movement. I don't say that in the pejorative. Although I view "New age" as a negative connotation I don't say that for that reason. The similarity I see is that gnosticism was spread over more than one religion and it constituted a specific way of looking at it. Christianity was just one carrier.

That may not be the "in" view point but I hold it. I don't think it's exactly the old view piot either. Like the pre Nag Hammadi way of looking at it I think it's obvious there was pre Christian non Christian Gnosticism. Nag Hammadi proves that. There were purely Jewish groups that had the same kinds of beliefs that would latter be called Gnostic. the Seth literature was not Jewish or Christian. It was Persian. So there clearly was a non Christian pre Christian gnosticism."

Well new age drawn some elements from Gnosticism/hermetism but it is not it.
Theoretically 'Gnostic' term can be applied only to Sethians.
Only now slowly scholars began to sort out information.
As I noticed earlier the Gnostic method started with the first shaman,
which is way before Jesus or Abraham, and used since (including Abraham and Jesus).