poll for the gang

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

Metacrock
poll for the gang

Post by Metacrock » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:56 am

two questions

you are not reading my blog what do find uninteresting that I talk about too much?

what do you want to see me tale about a/

are you interested in Jesus myth or bible stuff"

on blog Wednesday> does science disprove the soul?

question 2 do you want more traffic here?
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

KR Wordgazer

Re: poll for the gang

Post by KR Wordgazer » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:52 pm

To question 1, I would answer as I have in the past: I think your blog posts are too long, and that you'd get more readers if you broke them into parts and published them as a series: such as "Does Science Disprove the Soul? - Part 1" etc.

To question 2, I would answer yes, more traffic here would be good. But I'm not sure how to generate that.
Wag more.
Bark less.

Jim B.

Post by Jim B. » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:59 am

Metacrock wrote:two questions

you are not reading my blog what do find uninteresting that I talk about too much?

what do you want to see me tale about a/

are you interested in Jesus myth or bible stuff"

on blog Wednesday> does science disprove the soul?

question 2 do you want more traffic here?
I agree with KR that your posts are very long. Breaking them into parts is a good idea. Also consider writing a condensed version and then link to the lengthier version if readers' interests are piqued. People have more options and demands on their time now than ever before. I personally am drawn more to the posts about science, ideology, etc than Jesus myth and Bible stuff. Yes, I'd like more traffic here. Probably your presence on CARM was generating a lot of that. Find less toxic versions of CARM to build a presence on I guess.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:30 am

thanks Jim

met

Post by met » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:51 pm

I think, in the same sense that Jim and KR seem to be saying, you need to consider the audience you want to attract. To find a wider, less technical, less academically-oriented audience, you need to become - putting it bluntly - less rigorous and more entertaining. Lead with a well-written, punchy overview, then, if you must, get to the snippity technical details in the later parts - preferably using something like a "Read More" kind of format, as Jim suggested. (And I know you're capable of being entertaining....) Also, if you're serious about gaining a new readership, you should get some help with overhauling your visual designs - cuz the standards out there, even for blogs, are very high design-wise now, and everyone needs to upgrade their look every couple of years as more whiz-bang-y technology becomes available.

... and, even then, even if you're doing everything right, it will take a long time and a lot of effort to build up an audience - and, in fact, it may not work at all - since you are competing with literally millions of other blogs and everybody's doin' it.

Me, personally? Well, I've been reading you for 15 years, and already know most of your essential, intellectual ideas pretty much inside out, so our relationship cannot be said to be based on that anymore. These days, I come here mainly to chill with some old friends....
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:28 pm

met wrote:I think, in the same sense that Jim and KR seem to be saying, you need to consider the audience you want to attract. To find a wider, less technical, less academically-oriented audience, you need to become - putting it bluntly - less rigorous and more entertaining. Lead with a well-written, punchy overview, then, if you must, get to the snippity technical details in the later parts - preferably using something like a "Read More" kind of format, as Jim suggested. (And I know you're capable of being entertaining....) Also, if you're serious about gaining a new readership, you should get some help with overhauling your visual designs - cuz the standards out there, even for blogs, are very high design-wise now, and everyone needs to upgrade their look every couple of years as more whiz-bang-y technology becomes available.

... and, even then, even if you're doing everything right, it will take a long time and a lot of effort to build up an audience - and, in fact, it may not work at all - since you are competing with literally millions of other blogs and everybody's doin' it.

Me, personally? Well, I've been reading you for 15 years, and already know most of your essential, intellectual ideas pretty much inside out, so our relationship cannot be said to be based on that anymore. These days, I come here mainly to chill with some old friends....

me too. I consider you an old friend for sure. Odd that we have never met. I want to get more people on the board but save a space for the gang.

sgttomas

Post by sgttomas » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:55 pm

Everything met said.

-sgtt
Prophet Muhammad (God send peace and blessings upon him) is reported to have said, "God says 'I am as My servant thinks I am' " ~ Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol 9 #502 (Chapter 93, "Oneness of God")

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:02 pm

sgttomas wrote:Everything met said.

-sgtt
ok, major when you two agree.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:05 pm

Met I just changed the look of Metacrock's blog you don't think it looks good?

met

Post by met » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:34 pm

It's actually not bad, kinda retro and folksy in a slightly absurd kind of way. I'd say that it even has a certain charm. On my iPad, tho, especially in portrait mode, there is way much too distraction - too much advertising and clutter in the sidebar - to follow your complex ideas along for very long, especially with that bright red, bolded font you use to flog your books. (Web design, in this world of so many devices and screens now, has gotten quite complex, and you have to consider what's called "responsiveness" - iow, think about, how's it gonna play on someone's phone? )

I won't over-critique because I don't know exactly what your goals are, and it all depends on that....
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton