what do I mean by the word "God"

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

sgttomas
Re: what do I mean by the word "God"

Post by sgttomas » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:55 am

Curiosity implies you know something about God. I'd say that makes me curious, but it doesn't.
Prophet Muhammad (God send peace and blessings upon him) is reported to have said, "God says 'I am as My servant thinks I am' " ~ Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol 9 #502 (Chapter 93, "Oneness of God")

Metacrock

Re: what do I mean by the word "God"

Post by Metacrock » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:38 pm

The Pixie wrote:
Metacrock wrote:This is what an atheist asked me on comment section of secular outpost. my answer:

Belief in God is not merely accepting one more thing in the universe, It'[s a world view involving the basis of reality,So to say:I believe God is...is also saying: I believable reality involves and an understanding of x y and z, that's going to get complex.

Ok with that understood, to satisfy the urge for a brief description: I do think God is not another thing in the cosmos but is the basis of all reality and thus a framework in which reality happens. That framework is analogous to mind in certain ways but can also be understood as the eternal and necessary aspect of being. In any case the important thing to note is that it is beyond our understanding but not beyond experience, therefore God cannot be a subject of empirical knowledge except indirectly, It is a subject of intimate existential and phenomenological apprehension.
Curious that your definition does not indicate God is intelligent/conscious/sentient. Is that deliberate?
I think that is a complex issue I am not ready to open the can of worms just yet. I have written a lot about it. I'' put up a lik for a thread,
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief