Does belief in afterlife disvalue this life?

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

Metacrock
Does belief in afterlife disvalue this life?

Post by Metacrock » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:58 am

https://metacrock.blogspot.com/2018/11/ ... -this.html

Does belief in afterlife disvalue this life? Belief gives this life theological significance,
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

Bettawoman

Re: Does belief in afterlife disvalue this life?

Post by Bettawoman » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:01 am

I think it's an interesting topic.

In my opinion, this part of religion can be a BIG distraction as people attempt to live their lives here on earth. What gets introduced is this extra pressure of making sure they go to a good place after they die. It can end up be a preoccupation, which can be both positive and negative, as this is a world of dichotomies.

Does belief in an afterlife devalue this life? It can, it really depends on your personal set of circumstances and what struggles we face on a daily basis.

Getting into the afterlife or 'heaven' always seems to have either a reward system, or the belief that we all return to a big pool of ethereal energy where we are part of consciousness and review our experience and learn from them, perhaps to return another time.

Personally, I am comfortable with the second thought as it allows me to participate in my life and do the very best I can to experience, create and engage with my life. However, that doesn't mean that my religious training hasn't helped me to understand the difference between right and wrong, and to learn about Jesus, the Sikh Gurus, Mohammad, Buddhism, etc. All of these have something valuable to say about the afterlife, but I don't think the afterlife is what life is about.

I see people in bible studies and churches who will compare their holiness with others, because, after all, there are only a limited number of seats in heaven. Who you believe in, if you examine yourself to the enth degree and try to met out all your sins, you can go to heaven, rather than it helps you live a better life here.

I think people can become vicious, and not kind and loving, and do not enjoy their lives and people they have around them, and they don't engage with the unknown. Because of heaven, people exclude unknown people and unknown elements, thereby missing their full potential. This is just my thought.
Time taken to breathe is time taken for peace.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:15 am

Hey Betta good to hear from you

my feeling is if we need to trust God for that and move on, if we dont we are not trusting,

Bettawoman

Post by Bettawoman » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:59 am

Hey Meta, it's good to be back, even for a minute or so.

Trusting God.

Well, it's funny that trust is something that somehow can exist even during times when it seems like there is no God and the world is just crazy.

Time and time again, it works out - but then, another catastrophe. It's almost like a game of get through to the next piece of higher ground.

Like my character Elanna in the second book of Bollywood Storm, during one of the last times she's in the void, I'm not anxious to get out so soon. I'm enjoying the quietude, the nothingness of the ego.

I trust there will be another coming back to life. Life at almost 60, I guess.
Time taken to breathe is time taken for peace.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:42 am

Bettawoman wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:59 am
Hey Meta, it's good to be back, even for a minute or so.

Trusting God.

Well, it's funny that trust is something that somehow can exist even during times when it seems like there is no God and the world is just crazy.

Time and time again, it works out - but then, another catastrophe. It's almost like a game of get through to the next piece of higher ground.

Like my character Elanna in the second book of Bollywood Storm, during one of the last times she's in the void, I'm not anxious to get out so soon. I'm enjoying the quietude, the nothingness of the ego.

I trust there will be another coming back to life. Life at almost 60, I guess.
we all need to go back and argue with atheists once and awhile