Favorite Fiction

Lighter discourse: tell jokes, discuss film, art, books, poetry, whatever makes you feel good.

Moderator:Metacrock

mdsimpson92
Favorite Fiction

Post by mdsimpson92 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:47 am

If you want to break it down by genre thats ok.
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

mdsimpson92

Re: Favorite Fiction

Post by mdsimpson92 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:18 pm

I guess I would start. For Fantasy, I would have to pick George Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" series.

Historical fiction: War and Peace (at the cost of my sanity)

Philosophy: Meditations and Fear and Trembling, Thus Spoke Zarathustra(for the awesome prose)

In General: Anything by Dostoyevsky or Tolstoy. I apparently have a thing for Russian Authors.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:01 am

mdsimpson92 wrote:I guess I would start. For Fantasy, I would have to pick George Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" series.

Historical fiction: War and Peace (at the cost of my sanity)

Philosophy: Meditations and Fear and Trembling, Thus Spoke Zarathustra(for the awesome prose)

In General: Anything by Dostoyevsky or Tolstoy. I apparently have a thing for Russian Authors.
Yea Dostoyevsky and Tolstroy, they were great.

I also like Sartre as a novelist a lot. I really got into the Age of Reason and Troubled Sleep.

I like Camus, I like the Stranger.(La Trange) I love the Plague.(le Peste)

ever read Le Pemier Ome? I'm probably misspelling that.That was good. I read all of that in French.

I also read Candide in French too. Those were two of my favirite things that of the stuff I actually read in French.

Proust, Swan's Way, which I rad in both English and French (I could not figure out what the French was about). I really don't see how language can be that way. I read huge portions of Candide in French and didn't have to look up a word. I couldn't make heads or tails out of Proust or Hugo in French. Reading them all in English they don't seem that much harder than the Camus or Voltaire.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:04 pm

Metacrock wrote:Yea Dostoyevsky and Tolstroy, they were great.I also like Sartre as a novelist a lot. I really got into the Age of Reason and Troubled Sleep.I like Camus, I like the Stranger.(La Trange) I love the Plague.(le Peste)ever read Le Pemier Ome? I'm probably misspelling that.That was good. I read all of that in French.I also read Candide in French too. Those were two of my favirite things that of the stuff I actually read in French.Proust, Swan's Way, which I rad in both English and French (I could not figure out what the French was about). I really don't see how language can be that way. I read huge portions of Candide in French and didn't have to look up a word. I couldn't make heads or tails out of Proust or Hugo in French. Reading them all in English they don't seem that much harder than the Camus or Voltaire.
To be honest I haven't read much french literature. I kind of dabble everywhere. I have read Camus' "Myth of Syssuphus" and Sartre's "Existentialism is a Humanism." Preferred Camus between the two.

I also read Dune which is great science fiction. For Fantasy works I would Seriously recommend the Song of Ice and Fire Series. They showed the first book on HBO called "GAme of Thrones." You can watch the episodes here.

http://www.1channel.ch/watch-1386995-Game-of-Thrones