Progressive daily devotionals?

Lighter discourse: tell jokes, discuss film, art, books, poetry, whatever makes you feel good.

Moderator:Metacrock

MonolithTMA
Progressive daily devotionals?

Post by MonolithTMA » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:30 pm

Greetings, all!

Happy Belated Thanksgiving! Merry Early Christmas!

I'd like to buy, Robyn, my fiance, a devotional for Christmas. She's been struggling with the whole God concept ever since her Mom passed last December, and I know it seems strange for an atheist to encourage faith, but her faith is important to her, and I love her, so I encourage her to do what makes her happy.

Nearly all the daily devotionals I have, come from more conservative versions of Christianity, Grace for the Moment: Inspirational Thoughts for Each Day of the Year by
Max Lucado, My Utmost For His Highest by Oswald Chambers, and Streams in the Desert by
L. B. Cowman and James Reimann, to name a few. They all have some good stuff, but tend more towards the conservative evangelical side of Christianity.

I ordered a used copy of Listening to Your Life: Daily Meditations with Frederick Buechner. I've really enjoyed other things I've read by him, and I think she will like it, but I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions for less conservative, more progressive leaning daily devotionals.

Thanks in advance!
Peace,
Mike aka MonolithTMA

"The idea that the truth of God can be bound in any human system, by any human creed, by any human book is almost beyond imagination for me." -- John Shelby Spong

mdsimpson92

Re: Progressive daily devotionals?

Post by mdsimpson92 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:18 pm

MonolithTMA wrote:Greetings, all!

Happy Belated Thanksgiving! Merry Early Christmas!

I'd like to buy, Robyn, my fiance, a devotional for Christmas. She's been struggling with the whole God concept ever since her Mom passed last December, and I know it seems strange for an atheist to encourage faith, but her faith is important to her, and I love her, so I encourage her to do what makes her happy.

Nearly all the daily devotionals I have, come from more conservative versions of Christianity, Grace for the Moment: Inspirational Thoughts for Each Day of the Year by
Max Lucado, My Utmost For His Highest by Oswald Chambers, and Streams in the Desert by
L. B. Cowman and James Reimann, to name a few. They all have some good stuff, but tend more towards the conservative evangelical side of Christianity.

I ordered a used copy of Listening to Your Life: Daily Meditations with Frederick Buechner. I've really enjoyed other things I've read by him, and I think she will like it, but I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions for less conservative, more progressive leaning daily devotionals.

Thanks in advance!
I don't have anything off the top of my head but I will try to find something. Meta told me early this morning that he will likely not be back on the forum until Tuesday. I hope Robyn is doing well (relatively speaking).
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

MonolithTMA

Re: Progressive daily devotionals?

Post by MonolithTMA » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:30 pm

Thank you. She is doing well, there will always be times where she will remember and sadly miss her mother, but she remembers all the happy times too. This time of year will always be tough for her, I imagine.
Peace,
Mike aka MonolithTMA

"The idea that the truth of God can be bound in any human system, by any human creed, by any human book is almost beyond imagination for me." -- John Shelby Spong