HOT foods

Lighter discourse: tell jokes, discuss film, art, books, poetry, whatever makes you feel good.

Moderator:Metacrock

QuantumTroll
Re: HOT foods

Post by QuantumTroll » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:25 am

Horseradish is a root. It's called "pepper root" in Swedish, but it has no relation to pepper. It's a radish, as the English name implies, and is in the huge and varied vegetable family that includes everything from cabbage and broccoli to wasabi and mustard. So what makes it hot? From wikipedia:
The intact horseradish root has hardly any aroma. When cut or grated, however, enzymes from the now-broken plant cells break down sinigrin (a glucosinolate) to produce allyl isothiocyanate (mustard oil), which irritates the mucous membranes of the sinuses and eyes. Once exposed to air (via grating) or heat, if not used immediately or mixed in vinegar, the grated mash darkens, loses its pungency, and becomes unpleasantly bitter-tasting.
I really like horseradish, but my wife can't stand it. She seems to be a lot more sensitive to it, claiming it overpowers everything else one might eat it with. This was demonstrated once at a restaurant where I ordered a dish with some grated horseradish. I forgot about the horseradish and thought the white bits was some sort of cheese, that's how weak it was. A meter or two away, however, my wife was upset because she thought someone had put horseradish in her food. I quickly consumed my serving of the offending condiment, and her food started to taste fine. Crazy!

fleetmouse

Post by fleetmouse » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:25 am

Metacrock wrote:ahahah continuing your hobby of hot foods. Do they corrode your stomach lining?
Stomach's fine, though I do occasionally feel some heat farther south. :mrgreen:

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:40 am

that's good. that makes sense becuase the stuff is hot because of the thermal reaction on your tongue not becuase it has corrosive acid or anything. Still it just seems like it would upset the stomach. I find milk helps me recover from the heat becuase if it is cold.

we are going to have to change your name to "fire eater." :mrgreen:
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

met

Post by met » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:24 pm

"fire-mouse!"
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton