Favorite Movies of 2012

Lighter discourse: tell jokes, discuss film, art, books, poetry, whatever makes you feel good.

Moderator:Metacrock

mdsimpson92
Favorite Movies of 2012

Post by mdsimpson92 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:47 am

Django Unchained: I think this might be my favorite Tarantino movie. I have never seen a film so self-aware and funny and yet so brutal at different points (or the same time, there is some black humor here). Christopher Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Samuel Jackson are pretty much scene stealing throughout the film. Plus the soundtrack is pretty awesome.

Lincoln: Daniel Day Lewis is Abe Lincoln, that is all.
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

Metacrock

Re: Favorite Movies of 2012

Post by Metacrock » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:08 pm

mdsimpson92 wrote:Django Unchained: I think this might be my favorite Tarantino movie. I have never seen a film so self-aware and funny and yet so brutal at different points (or the same time, there is some black humor here). Christopher Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Samuel Jackson are pretty much scene stealing throughout the film. Plus the soundtrack is pretty awesome.

Lincoln: Daniel Day Lewis is Abe Lincoln, that is all.
I didn't see any movies at the theater in 2012. I only watch movies made before 1970. That's not really true. My friend Jim who was a film major is my major dialogue partner for film as art. We have film nights where we get DVD's and watch the classics together. We also have seen several films made in the 90s and 2000's. There a couple of directors I like. I like Werner Herzog he's my favorite post 70 director. He did hart of glass,Nosferatu the Vampyre, read all about him.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werner_Herzog

there are some East European guys we've watched who are good but I can't spell or pronounce their names.

one is this:
The Decalogue (Polish: 'Dekalog' - and known as such in many English language editions) is a 1989 Polish television drama series directed by Krzysztof Kieślowski[2] and co-written by Kieślowski with Krzysztof Piesiewicz, with music by Zbigniew Preisner.[3] It consists of ten one-hour films, inspired by the Ten Commandments.[4] Each short film explores one or several moral or ethical issues faced by characters living in modern Poland.

see more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Decalogue
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:42 am

Ok, that has enough acclaim and themes to seriously be worth a look. When Stanley freaking Kubrick writes praise of something, that signals either really good or really depressing (likely both).

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:07 pm

mdsimpson92 wrote:Ok, that has enough acclaim and themes to seriously be worth a look. When Stanley freaking Kubrick writes praise of something, that signals either really good or really depressing (likely both).
yrd Kubric was great. He doesn't get enough recognition. I think most people just accept Orson Wells a sort of the only American Bermgan but Kubrick was one too.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:29 pm

I heard a new movie just came out about the killing of Osama bin Laden (Zero Dark Thirty). I'm going to go see it with my sister in DC. She works with counterinsurgency, so this is right up her alley.