Family Reunion in Galveston!

Lighter discourse: tell jokes, discuss film, art, books, poetry, whatever makes you feel good.

Moderator:Metacrock

KR Wordgazer
Family Reunion in Galveston!

Post by KR Wordgazer » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:10 pm

Monday my family and I are heading to Galveston Texas to stay in cottages on the beach-- all paid for by family members since they know we're still in financial straits. Metacrock, you're in Dallas, right? I doubt we could meet but I'm thinking of you! :D
Wag more.
Bark less.

Metacrock

Re: Family Reunion in Galveston!

Post by Metacrock » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:05 am

KR Wordgazer wrote:Monday my family and I are heading to Galveston Texas to stay in cottages on the beach-- all paid for by family members since they know we're still in financial straits. Metacrock, you're in Dallas, right? I doubt we could meet but I'm thinking of you! :D
Yea that would be cool. what ties does your family have to Galveston?
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

KR Wordgazer

Post by KR Wordgazer » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:54 am

Some of my husband's aunts and uncles live there. One set of his grandparents lived in Texas before moving to California sometime in the 1950s.
Wag more.
Bark less.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:35 am

KR Wordgazer wrote:Some of my husband's aunts and uncles live there. One set of his grandparents lived in Texas before moving to California sometime in the 1950s.
I see. They had this big flood back in like 1905 when the whole town was destroyed. that's what I think of when I think of Galveston.

I also think of an anecdote Grouch Marx told about how before they were in movies, they played Galveston (Vaudeville) and audience was bead pan. No one would laugh. they were freaking out. So at intermission Harpo ran up on the stage and shouted something I wont repeat but it was so obscene I can't tell you what it was. Sheep were involved. "Galvestonians..." do this activity with sheep.they all started laughing the second half of the show they were laughing and enjoyed it. If that was really true I think it's a wonder he didn't get lynched. how did he know they would laugh and not shoot?

KR Wordgazer

Post by KR Wordgazer » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:13 pm

That's quite a story! I love the Marx Brothers. I've seen every movie of theirs I can find-- taught the kids to like them too. I may have the only kids in town who know who Groucho and Harpo are.

I think Night at the Opera is my favorite. But I also love the one where they're on a cruise ship.
Wag more.
Bark less.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:22 pm

KR Wordgazer wrote:That's quite a story! I love the Marx Brothers. I've seen every movie of theirs I can find-- taught the kids to like them too. I may have the only kids in town who know who Groucho and Harpo are.

I think Night at the Opera is my favorite. But I also love the one where they're on a cruise ship.
Hey night at the opera and day at the races are bar far their best two. That's becuase Harald Lowenthal became the producer and he re-worked their presentation. He took half quips. Groucho was against it at first but soon realized it was funnier with half as much stuff. the had the boys become protagonists in trying to save the enterprise of some underdog as we find the plots of those two movies. Unfortunately Groucho screwed up.He alienated the major producer at the studio at a time just before Loenthal died. The alienated producer was able to see to it they didn't get what the needed production-wise for hte next film, a night at the circus, which was a disaster and they never as good again.

KR Wordgazer

Post by KR Wordgazer » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:47 am

This is interesting stuff! Is there a book you read or a documentary you saw that I can try to find?
Wag more.
Bark less.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:10 am

KR Wordgazer wrote:This is interesting stuff! Is there a book you read or a documentary you saw that I can try to find?
Yes it was a documentary. I don't remember the name. I think I saw it on the extra material with Night at the Opera, on DVD. Netflix.Seems like I've gotten a lot of good Marx borhers info there too.