Found a fantasy series that is good.

Lighter discourse: tell jokes, discuss film, art, books, poetry, whatever makes you feel good.

Moderator:Metacrock

mdsimpson92
Found a fantasy series that is good.

Post by mdsimpson92 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:28 am

It is called "Malazan: Book of the Fallen." It is an epic fantasy series that is made up by 10 books. For those of you that like Game of Thrones/Song of Ice and Fire, it is very similar in tone and the fact that anyone can die.

The difference I see in it is that I see little to no influence from traditional (tolkein) fantasy elements present here. Which is good, because that makes it a lot more refreshing, though that also makes it a little hard to read at first because it has its own rules and it doesn't feel the need to just sit down and explain itself to you. So not much of a reading curve.

Also the character perspectives change with every book.Though i would say it does help flesh out the world a bit more and keeps the plot going. So, yeah, really good series.
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

Metacrock

Re: Found a fantasy series that is good.

Post by Metacrock » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:38 pm

mdsimpson92 wrote:It is called "Malazan: Book of the Fallen." It is an epic fantasy series that is made up by 10 books. For those of you that like Game of Thrones/Song of Ice and Fire, it is very similar in tone and the fact that anyone can die.

The difference I see in it is that I see little to no influence from traditional (tolkein) fantasy elements present here. Which is good, because that makes it a lot more refreshing, though that also makes it a little hard to read at first because it has its own rules and it doesn't feel the need to just sit down and explain itself to you. So not much of a reading curve.

Also the character perspectives change with every book.Though i would say it does help flesh out the world a bit more and keeps the plot going. So, yeah, really good series.
Tolkien is the only Tolkien-like fantasy thing I can stand. I hate all the imitators. I don't consider Lewis to be one. I see Narnia as original enough and based enough on medieval England that it's not derivative of Tolkien.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:03 pm

Metacrock wrote: Tolkien is the only Tolkien-like fantasy thing I can stand. I hate all the imitators. I don't consider Lewis to be one. I see Narnia as original enough and based enough on medieval England that it's not derivative of Tolkien.
Which is kind of the problem for most high fantasy, is that they are basically just a different take on Tolkein. Which is why I find Song of ice and Fire and the Malazan books so refreshing. Though they kind of go in different directions about it, with George Martin's works removing most of the magic from the world and largely focusing on court politics, and Malazan enhancing the magical elements (with its own rules and completely different races). Though both are also a lot more cynical and the body count for characters are pretty high percentage wise.
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:55 pm

Song of Ice & Fire is excellent. I stalled out on reading the books because the show is so similar it's like re-reading them. They probably diverge further in - I didn't get far into the first volume. Waiting on the shows to start again this spring.

Will keep an eye out for the Malazan books.
One of the hallmarks of freedom is that when you recognize someone is being intellectually dishonest or arguing with you in bad faith, you have the option to walk away without being punished, imprisoned or tortured.