Virgina Lee Burton: the art of children's books

Lighter discourse: tell jokes, discuss film, art, books, poetry, whatever makes you feel good.

Moderator:Metacrock

Metacrock
Virgina Lee Burton: the art of children's books

Post by Metacrock » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:13 am

I like this figure, Burton. She was a artist of Chrdleins books. I saw a good thing on her on PBS last night. Here's a link to that show. You can see the show on this link:

http://www.virginialeeburtonthefilm.com/

My not be the same one I saw but it seems the same. She did major books. one about this abandoned house and one about a steam shovel. Anyone who was a kid in the 50s or early 60s will recognize it.

I like her becuase came out of the arts and crafts movement of the early 20th century, she had a neat partnership with her Husband who was sculptor (Demitrios) and her illustrations are cool.

The main thing is her books run on psychology and art and she nailed the arch types perfectly. It's all teaching left wing politics through the psychology of art and arch types in art. For example she was aware of how they were storytelling the landscape to put in freeways. She saw this back in the 40s when it was beginning.

Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

Metacrock

Re: Virgina Lee Burton: the art of children's books

Post by Metacrock » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:47 am

that last one did not come through well. Look at it in it's entirety.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-4Lfj0EFsjWs/U ... +slums.jpg

that's the little house with the city grown up all around it. Here's what I mean by archetypes. The house in the country is in all these circular patterns around the house the outer houses and stuff. Each in it's own little bubble and that is a universal symbol, the circle, the egg, the womb. Peace, never ending becuase it's a circle. It's female, thus it's mommy. females are circles (Virginia, egg, the womb).

the mall is thrusting and straight ahead so the free way is going but a big gash thorugh those circles. It's doing to break the harmony.

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:00 pm

Oh, her! Yeah she's great. My wife got The Little House for our son. I should read it to him more often while he's young enough. I love her folk art style.
One of the hallmarks of freedom is that when you recognize someone is being intellectually dishonest or arguing with you in bad faith, you have the option to walk away without being punished, imprisoned or tortured.

KR Wordgazer

Post by KR Wordgazer » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:34 pm

I loved those classic stories! Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel was about not throwing people under the bus of progress.
Wag more.
Bark less.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:35 am

Magritte wrote:Oh, her! Yeah she's great. My wife got The Little House for our son. I should read it to him more often while he's young enough. I love her folk art style.

yea I do too.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:36 am

KR Wordgazer wrote:I loved those classic stories! Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel was about not throwing people under the bus of progress.
Yes! that's exactly right. guess who I thought of when I saw that show? Someone you know better than I. But also everyone who lives in modern world.

met

Post by met » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:15 pm

I don't know her, but that's just very beautiful art.
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton