Movies that you have been watching

Lighter discourse: tell jokes, discuss film, art, books, poetry, whatever makes you feel good.

Moderator:Metacrock

Bettawoman
Re: Movies that you have been watching

Post by Bettawoman » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:58 pm

I like SOME westerns. I kind of liked the one with Yule Brenner...Magnificent Seven. I only watched it once, but it was alright. More socially aware movie, protecting people and their land from greedy people.

Met's dad really liked westerns. I watched a few when I was young. Mom was the movie buff. She liked John Wayne best. My uncle is a big Clint Eastwood (the Good the Bad the Ugly) fan. He loves movies himself. He just goes quiet, with mouth open, staring at the tube. He can only focus on one thing, so if you go see him, best make sure the tv is off.

I hate movies like Good Fellas, God Father - can't take the violence. I have to say that I don't really like watching the act of violence on the screen. People laugh and say "It's not real you know." Then there are people who perpetrate sadistic violence. Nope! Not that either. I don't need to be aware of evil and sickness out there. To me, that's just desensitizing yourself to the violence around us. That's just MHO. You know, Iago types from Othello. YEESH!

Bang Bang!
Hang Hang!
Shag Shag!
(not necessarily in that order)
So that's my two bits.
Time taken to breathe is time taken for peace.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:13 am

Bettawoman wrote:I like SOME westerns. I kind of liked the one with Yule Brenner...Magnificent Seven. I only watched it once, but it was alright. More socially aware movie, protecting people and their land from greedy people.

Met's dad really liked westerns. I watched a few when I was young. Mom was the movie buff. She liked John Wayne best. My uncle is a big Clint Eastwood (the Good the Bad the Ugly) fan. He loves movies himself. He just goes quiet, with mouth open, staring at the tube. He can only focus on one thing, so if you go see him, best make sure the tv is off.

I hate movies like Good Fellas, God Father - can't take the violence. I have to say that I don't really like watching the act of violence on the screen. People laugh and say "It's not real you know." Then there are people who perpetrate sadistic violence. Nope! Not that either. I don't need to be aware of evil and sickness out there. To me, that's just desensitizing yourself to the violence around us. That's just MHO. You know, Iago types from Othello. YEESH!

Bang Bang!
Hang Hang!
Shag Shag!
(not necessarily in that order)
So that's my two bits.
I don't like gangster pictures. I mean Chicago kind of gangsters like Good fellows, Mafiosos. I hate them on many levels, their stereotypical, they evoke a hypocritical honor code, they evoke a feudalistic kind of thinknig about family and phony honor, at the expense of cheapening life.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:15 am

I like Kung fu movies but am tired of them at the moment. I've seen many of the great classics. Have still not been able to find a copy of One armed boxer.

I don't know why I like them they are all tiresome and alike. I'm a in awe of their skills. I also like a lot of the shtick they do, like little guy beats up bigger bullies. little guy protects those who can't fight back.

Bettawoman

Post by Bettawoman » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:08 pm

Metacrock wrote:I like Kung fu movies but am tired of them at the moment. I've seen many of the great classics. Have still not been able to find a copy of One armed boxer.

I don't know why I like them they are all tiresome and alike. I'm a in awe of their skills. I also like a lot of the shtick they do, like little guy beats up bigger bullies. little guy protects those who can't fight back.
Yeah, you just need a change. It gets boring. Bollywood movies do the same thing to me. La la la, boy meets girl. Boy's / girl's parents / society does not approve of relationship. Song and dance through the whole thing. They either get married, or someone dies. Comedy, drama, everything along the way. 5 song and dance numbers.

NO kissing, but lost of wiggly jiggly.

There are a lot of great movies too, don't get me wrong. Some real ground breakers, but the public likes the predictable. The fantasy.

"oh sure, we like serious issues, but you gotta have some song and dance."

And it was grist for my book. LOL!
Time taken to breathe is time taken for peace.

met

Post by met » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:47 am

Metacrock wrote:
Bettawoman wrote:I haven't been watching that many movies. I'm hooked on The Big Bang Theory as I only started watching them in January 2013.
I like: Harry Potter - no apologise what so ever.
I like a lot of Robin Williams, but don't get to see many.
I like lots of things. Anything that turns my crank at the moment.

DO NOT LIKE
Slasher movies
cop movies
disaster movies
lawyer movies
mob movies.

No, I'm a soft touch, and I like it that way. I'm not into chick flicks a lot. Generally, I don't like stupid. That's how I describe myself. Also really like anything David Bowie acted in - even just appeared in. The man has charisma, intelligence and is so grounded.
I agree with you about the not like list. I think BB is real funny what ruined it for me was realizing they would be internet atheists.
Why wouldn't that make it funnier? I mean, just imagine your i-atheist opponents being as kludgey and inept IRL as the BB boys are. And laugh your head off.....
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

met

Post by met » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:00 am

There was this one BB episode this year when Leonard disproves string theory and Sheldon is thereby reduced to having to read a geology book. - a book about "rocks " - that was REAL LY funny geeky/nerdy humour ( for those of us who can dig it). TRULY hilarious! I nearly died laughing....
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:52 pm

Metacrock wrote:I like Kung fu movies but am tired of them at the moment. I've seen many of the great classics. Have still not been able to find a copy of One armed boxer.

Kung fu movies aren't generally known for their stories. I know on that I like called Ong Bak. Tony Jaa was awesome, but it was cheesy as hell.

My favorite martial arts films are actually Indonesian films called The Raid and The Raid 2: Berandal. The choreography is great, but the director also seems to know exactly what he is doing. Plus no shaky cam like with most action movies today.
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:44 am

mdsimpson92 wrote:

Kung fu movies aren't generally known for their stories. I know on that I like called Ong Bak. Tony Jaa was awesome, but it was cheesy as hell.

My favorite martial arts films are actually Indonesian films called The Raid and The Raid 2: Berandal. The choreography is great, but the director also seems to know exactly what he is doing. Plus no shaky cam like with most action movies today.
The classic Shaw brothers like come drink with me had more story line than most of them. Also Jackie Chan movies of a certain era did. The real Bruce Lee movies have some story. Although granted they don't hold up as the Seventh Seal or anything.

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:54 am

Hoo boy, watched a whole bunch of movies this weekend. I watched American Beauty (props to Kevin Spacey for his awesome deadpan humor), A Clockwork Orange (it was disturbing but had an interesting premise that I wish they spent more time exploring), Chinatown (Jack Nicholson in a noir film, not much else to say). and Inside Llewyn Davis (now one of my favorite Coen Brother's movies. I'm re-watching parts for how much is in there and the music is solid, not to mention the end performance had my heart breaking a little inside).

Before those, the first two Alien movies (good horror bits, the second had better character development for the main lead) and LA Confidential (all-star cast, good noir police film with and solid and streamlined adaptation that still proved to be fairly complex).

I'm now moving on to "Children of Men" and then "The Seventh Seal." I'm a little anxious about the latter because, for some reason, older films tend to lose my interest (before 1970s) I'm not sure why. I can't seem to sit through films like Vertigo just due to the way people talk in that movie. It is weird.
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...