Movies that you have been watching

Lighter discourse: tell jokes, discuss film, art, books, poetry, whatever makes you feel good.

Moderator:Metacrock

JBSptfn
Movies that you have been watching

Post by JBSptfn » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:58 am

What movies have you been watching recently?

As for me, I have been checking out Clerks. and Clerks II:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109445/?ref_=rvi_tt

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424345/?ref_=rvi_tt

I got up in the middle of the night, and turned on the TV. I was flipping through the movie channels, and Clerks was on, so I decided to check the last half of it out. I never have seen anything with Jay and Silent Bob in it before.

Those movies were funny, but they could be a little more tasteful at times, especially the second one.

Metacrock

Re: Movies that you have been watching

Post by Metacrock » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:53 am

I have never heard of them.

My most recently watched movie (not counting tv BS) by the great Itallian director Federico Fellini, I Vitelloni-1953.

The title means "the young bulls" it's a slang term they used in Itally at that time for we might call "a red neck" or a "Yahoo." Young rural guys with noting better to do than cause trouble. they are not really mean but they just having noting better to do. They are basically rural working class pay boys. They are from a small town in Italy. The film is autobiographical in that the one guy who actually get's up the guts to leave town is really based upon Fillini himself. He leaves in teh last scene of this movie, headed for Roman.years latter in the 70s he did another film Called "Roma" that has that same guy (himself) getting off the train then it takes up with his early days in Rome trying to get established and make it.

The whole film revolves around a domestic problem between one of these young men and his new wife, who is expecting a child,and the child would have been born out of wedlock if the young man had not been forced to Marry her by his father who essentially beat him up because he was going to skip town. Most of the movie is not what you would call a comedy but it ends happily when the young guys realizes he loves the girl. The last quarter of the film about a mad dash around town trying to find her as she had gone missing, with the baby.

One funny situation in the film which was a true story from Fillini's life, they were driving along the road and saw men working. one of them sticks his head up through the sun roof and shout's "Hey workers," then something obscene, reinforced with a gesture. He does this for no real reason, he's like a big kid who doesn't work, parties all the time and has nothing better to do than make mischief. Just as he does this the car breaks down. they coast to a stop like 50 yards form the workers, who chase them down the road on foot trying to beat them up. They no match for working muscles.

here's a good review of it:

from BennyThomas's weblog
Dec 18, 2008.
http://bennythomas.wordpress.com/2008/1 ... loni-1953/

I Vitelloni or the young bulls is the third cinematic essay of Federico Fellini and it was a mature work as far as it reconstructed the trends of neorealism in his own personal idiom. At a time when critics tended to look at films dealing with postwar Italy from a Marxian point of view he was neither conservative nor reactionary. He was far too individualistic to look at social reality with labels. His mature films showed his heart was fully engaged in the creative process whether it dealt with social issues or his interior life. Here I am concerned with pre-felliniesque films. I dare to think his training as a wandering caricaturist helped him to be objective and go to the essence leaving the claptrap of ideology to pamphlets. He learned what he required more from Chaplin than Rosselini. The social conscience of Chaplin was clothed in melodrama while his characters showed his own. It is pertinent to remember that his films in the early period are more autobiographical than derived from books of others. Between I vitelloni of 1953 and Amarcord of 1973 we can see certain characterisitics that show Fellini at his best. The first is a group caricature of four layabouts in a stifling beach town. It could well be Rimini from where Fellini escaped for Rome in the Thirties. In that sleepy provincial town the social stagnation that enervate I vitelloni has to do much with the economic distress of the post war Italy. Whereas Amarcord traces the rise of fascism in the way of behavior of a few of the town’s inhabitants. Unlike Chaplin who created the Tramp more as a peg to place his genius, Fellini was more in the tradition of a storyteller. His characters are there to delineate themselves and masks they wear are as such we all wear in the growing pains of finding our feet as and when needed. Alberto lives with his mother as Fausto is under the thumb of his feisty father. Alberto( Alberto Sordi) has no qualms of living off his sister but he makes it a point to show he is the man of the house. Fausto (Franco Fabrizi) on the other hand impregnates his friend’s sister and yet finds excuses for not doing the right thing. All these characters are other selves of Fellini who bear the torch lit by his personal vision. Antonia Shanahan, in senses of cinema, July 2002 writes thus, ‘As a veteran of the scripting team responsible for two exemplars of Italian neorealism, Roma città aperta and Paisà (both Roberto Rossellini, 1945 and ’46), Fellini was interested in moving toward a “cinema of Reconstruction.” After Paisà, he redefined his artistic credo to “looking at reality with an honest eye – but any kind of reality; not just social reality, but also spiritual reality, metaphysical reality, anything man has inside him.” ‘(1)( Federico Fellini, “The Road Beyond Neo-Realism, ” in Fellini, “La Strada”: Federico Fellini, Director, ed. Peter Bondanella and Manuela Gieri,-New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press, 1987, p.217.)
Fellini showed his genius in such films as Nights of Cabiria, La Strada and La Dolce Vita.

There is much more to the review, see link above.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

JBSptfn

Post by JBSptfn » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:47 pm

Yeah, that's right. You are a big 50's and early-60's movie fan. You did a review of The Virgin Spring on your film review blog once, and I told you about how Wes Craven's horror classic Last House on the Left was based on the Bergman classic:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068833/?ref_=nv_sr_2

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:09 pm

As for me, I just watched Hot Fuzz (British comedy) and Captain America: The Winter Solder. I'm looking to see Grand Budapest Hotel and The Raid 2 sometime soon.
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

JBSptfn

Post by JBSptfn » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:01 pm

mdsimpson92 wrote:As for me, I just watched Hot Fuzz (British comedy) and Captain America: The Winter Solder. I'm looking to see Grand Budapest Hotel and The Raid 2 sometime soon.
I just found Hot Fuzz on IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425112/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Seems like an interesting movie.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:10 am

JBSptfn wrote:Yeah, that's right. You are a big 50's and early-60's movie fan. You did a review of The Virgin Spring on your film review blog once, and I told you about how Wes Craven's horror classic Last House on the Left was based on the Bergman classic:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068833/?ref_=nv_sr_2
yea that's cool. I did a film review (the one I did here) on my blog for today.

Bettawoman

Post by Bettawoman » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:56 pm

I haven't been watching that many movies. I'm hooked on The Big Bang Theory as I only started watching them in January 2013.
I like: Harry Potter - no apologise what so ever.
I like a lot of Robin Williams, but don't get to see many.
I like lots of things. Anything that turns my crank at the moment.

DO NOT LIKE
Slasher movies
cop movies
disaster movies
lawyer movies
mob movies.

No, I'm a soft touch, and I like it that way. I'm not into chick flicks a lot. Generally, I don't like stupid. That's how I describe myself. Also really like anything David Bowie acted in - even just appeared in. The man has charisma, intelligence and is so grounded.
Time taken to breathe is time taken for peace.

Bettawoman

Post by Bettawoman » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:57 pm

ooops...entered twice.

I like a good movie.
Some Clint Eastwood (though his politics suck)
Thelma and Louise - very decent chick flick
Time taken to breathe is time taken for peace.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:56 am

Bettawoman wrote:I haven't been watching that many movies. I'm hooked on The Big Bang Theory as I only started watching them in January 2013.
I like: Harry Potter - no apologise what so ever.
I like a lot of Robin Williams, but don't get to see many.
I like lots of things. Anything that turns my crank at the moment.

DO NOT LIKE
Slasher movies
cop movies
disaster movies
lawyer movies
mob movies.

No, I'm a soft touch, and I like it that way. I'm not into chick flicks a lot. Generally, I don't like stupid. That's how I describe myself. Also really like anything David Bowie acted in - even just appeared in. The man has charisma, intelligence and is so grounded.
I agree with you about the not like list. I think BB is real funny what ruined it for me was realizing they would be internet atheists.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:57 am

Bettawoman wrote:ooops...entered twice.

I like a good movie.
Some Clint Eastwood (though his politics suck)
Thelma and Louise - very decent chick flick
do you read my film reviews?