Movies that you have been watching

Lighter discourse: tell jokes, discuss film, art, books, poetry, whatever makes you feel good.

Moderator:Metacrock

met
Re: Movies that you have been watching

Post by met » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:19 pm

Metacrock wrote:
Bettawoman wrote:ooops...entered twice.

I like a good movie.
Some Clint Eastwood (though his politics suck)
Thelma and Louise - very decent chick flick
do you read my film reviews?
Meta, u need to review some Bollywood flicks! ;) :D
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:51 am

met wrote:
Metacrock wrote:

I like a good movie.
Meta, u need to review some Bollywood flicks! ;) :D
You know I've ever even seen one. I've seen parts of them. probably I just have a bunch of stereo types. Have you ever seen Renoir's film the river?

If Ballywood always dancing and singing? Is it a genre of film or a film industry?
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

met

Post by met » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:04 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omkara_(2006_film)

U might like Omkara, Bollywood 's Indo-gangsta remake of Othello.
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

Bettawoman

Post by Bettawoman » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:04 pm

Metacrock wrote:

I like a good movie.
No I haven't. I'm still getting acquainted with the site again.
And I would figure most of the BB crowd were Atheists, though Walowitz does seem pretty scared in the 'Vegas Church' scene that he's going to burst into flames. Hmmm...religion or cultural fear?
Time taken to breathe is time taken for peace.

Bettawoman

Post by Bettawoman » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:10 pm

met wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omkara_(2006_film)

U might like Omkara, Bollywood 's Indo-gangsta remake of Othello.
OMKARA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omkara_%282006_film%29 Good actors, GREAT Iago - cos you just hate the sneaky, evil piece of shit!
(there's that hot dance scene with the Desdemona character)
I have to say that some of the subtitles were EMBARRASSINGLY LAME IMHO. But still worth the watch.

Another good film - kinda Fellini-esk - is Mera Nam Joker.
It's about the life of a circus performer. Raj Kapoor, the director and main character, based this somewhat on his life as a Vaudville actor and the three women who affected his life deeply. BEAUTIFUL film. I saw it when I was eight, and it even had a very classy but much poo poo'd nude scene. The Indian public panned it. In response he made what he considered the tritest movie in the world called "Bobby" staring his son, Rishi Kapoor and Dimple Kampadia. Rich boy meets servant's daughter, falls in love, parents explode and try to keep them apart. India went wild! They loved it. It's the most beloved film in history! :o

It was not a bad film. It was shot well, the story line was there, the subtitles did not embarrass me. That is one thing you can say about Raj Kapoor films, they were done well. Another GORGEOUS film is "Laila Majnu" by Raj Kapoor.

Oh HECK! Go to my website: http://www.dhoomadakalakadhoomdhoom.com/movies.html. I have to admit I haven't watched a lot of Bollywood Films since the eighties because they got so redundant, and they probably went through some revamping. I have seen a few that I've liked and should finish my blog about it. "Rang de Basanti" was pretty good. But, yeah, the only movie i didn't see ANY song and dance numbers in was "Water" by Deepa Metha. Very moving, and caused a lot of controversy in India. They had to film it on the down-low.

There's a lot of good movies out there with a message, but a fair bit of them are all shake, no jello.

JBSptfn

Post by JBSptfn » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:25 am

I like a good movie.
I saw Sudden Impact a few days ago, and the Dead Pool not long before that. Sudden Impact was the best of the Dirty Harry genre, in my opinion.

That wasn't supposed to be a Dirty Harry movie. The Enforcer (1976) was supposed to be the last one. However, in the early-80's, fans were asked the question "which character do you want to see make a comeback". Dirty Harry was the winner of the poll.

Bettawoman

Post by Bettawoman » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:43 pm

I like Clint Eastwood westerns. Dirty Harry is not my cuppa tea. I usually fall asleep.

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:06 pm

I'm in China with a long distance relationship. One thing we are doing is that I we are going to watch 1 movie every week to give each other something to talk about.

1. The Big Lebowski
2. Brazil
3. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
4. Wrath of Khan
5. Usual Suspects
6. True Grit(new version)
7. Pulp Fiction

I have also watched a number of Keneth Branagh's Shakespeare films: Henry V and Hamlet
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:20 am

mdsimpson92 wrote:I'm in China with a long distance relationship. One thing we are doing is that I we are going to watch 1 movie every week to give each other something to talk about.

1. The Big Lebowski
2. Brazil
3. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
4. Wrath of Khan
5. Usual Suspects
6. True Grit(new version)
7. Pulp Fiction

I have also watched a number of Keneth Branagh's Shakespeare films: Henry V and Hamlet
I would like to see the new true grit and, Wrath of Khan, and Ususal suspects.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:23 am

Bettawoman wrote:I like Clint Eastwood westerns. Dirty Harry is not my cuppa tea. I usually fall asleep.

I like a lot of Westerns. I don't like one's where the Indians ride around the wagons in circles shooting aimlessly and being shot, and then refuse to attack at night. I have a feeling they didn't really do that. Look at their fighting tactics at the modern Wounded Knee they were the one's behind the wagons.

I like an old movie called "Broken Arrow" starring James Stewart. It took the native American side. I like the original Stage coach even it starred John Wayne who was other wise an asshole. It did have conventional Hollywood "Indians." I like it becuase it was the first film to try to really produce a story out of Western genre, and developed characters and relationships.