Big News!

Lighter discourse: tell jokes, discuss film, art, books, poetry, whatever makes you feel good.

Moderator:Metacrock

KR Wordgazer
Big News!

Post by KR Wordgazer » Wed May 07, 2014 9:47 pm

The big news is this. A couple days ago, out of the blue, I was contacted by a major Christian radio broadcaster called Moody Bible Radio (a branch of Moody Bible Institute). They have a radio show called "Up for Debate" which airs every Saturday morning, and they want me to be a featured speaker on one side of the topic, "Does God Expect Men to Be Leaders in Their Homes?" They have read my blog and were very impressed with it, and of all the people who could cover the egalitarian side, they chose me! The other side is being taken by a guy named Carlton Arnold, who has written a couple of self-published book on How to Be a Christian Man. The format is that we each get a short bio and then a presentation of our major talking points. Then we engage with each other, and then there's a call-in question and answer period. The tone is supposed to stay friendly, and there's a moderator to make sure it does. It's an hour-long show, and I'd be calling in to be on the air. At 6 am (my time)! That's the downside-- the show is at 8 am Chicago time, and I'm on Pacific Time. It's on the morning of May 17th. A week or so after the live program, a recording will be available to listen to online at UpForDebate.org.

I'm feeling astonished, honored, excited and scared. Any praying people here-- please pray for me!
Wag more.
Bark less.

JBSptfn

Re: Big News!

Post by JBSptfn » Thu May 08, 2014 11:58 am

Amen!!!! Way to go Kristen!! I am not surprised.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Fri May 09, 2014 5:50 am

KR Wordgazer wrote:The big news is this. A couple days ago, out of the blue, I was contacted by a major Christian radio broadcaster called Moody Bible Radio (a branch of Moody Bible Institute). They have a radio show called "Up for Debate" which airs every Saturday morning, and they want me to be a featured speaker on one side of the topic, "Does God Expect Men to Be Leaders in Their Homes?" They have read my blog and were very impressed with it, and of all the people who could cover the egalitarian side, they chose me! The other side is being taken by a guy named Carlton Arnold, who has written a couple of self-published book on How to Be a Christian Man. The format is that we each get a short bio and then a presentation of our major talking points. Then we engage with each other, and then there's a call-in question and answer period. The tone is supposed to stay friendly, and there's a moderator to make sure it does. It's an hour-long show, and I'd be calling in to be on the air. At 6 am (my time)! That's the downside-- the show is at 8 am Chicago time, and I'm on Pacific Time. It's on the morning of May 17th. A week or so after the live program, a recording will be available to listen to online at UpForDebate.org.

I'm feeling astonished, honored, excited and scared. Any praying people here-- please pray for me!
Hey that's great Kristen. I didn't see this before.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

KR Wordgazer

Post by KR Wordgazer » Sat May 17, 2014 6:35 pm

If anyone wants to listen to a recording of the broadcast (warning: it's an hour long!) the link is here:

http://www.moodyradio.org/upfordebate/

After a few days it will be moved to the "past programs" section:

http://www.moodyradio.org/brd_ProgramAr ... ?id=100745
Wag more.
Bark less.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Wed May 21, 2014 9:27 am

KR Wordgazer wrote:The big news is this. A couple days ago, out of the blue, I was contacted by a major Christian radio broadcaster called Moody Bible Radio (a branch of Moody Bible Institute). They have a radio show called "Up for Debate" which airs every Saturday morning, and they want me to be a featured speaker on one side of the topic, "Does God Expect Men to Be Leaders in Their Homes?" They have read my blog and were very impressed with it, and of all the people who could cover the egalitarian side, they chose me! The other side is being taken by a guy named Carlton Arnold, who has written a couple of self-published book on How to Be a Christian Man. The format is that we each get a short bio and then a presentation of our major talking points. Then we engage with each other, and then there's a call-in question and answer period. The tone is supposed to stay friendly, and there's a moderator to make sure it does. It's an hour-long show, and I'd be calling in to be on the air. At 6 am (my time)! That's the downside-- the show is at 8 am Chicago time, and I'm on Pacific Time. It's on the morning of May 17th. A week or so after the live program, a recording will be available to listen to online at UpForDebate.org.

that's great wodgazer. you better be on guard because Moody is the top of line comp strong hold. There's a woman in ECA whose husband was fired from Moody for saying women could speak in the chruch. Granted that was say back in the 70s.

KR Wordgazer

Post by KR Wordgazer » Wed May 21, 2014 6:41 pm

Heh, heh. Well, I wasn't expecting to be treated as one of them-- and I definitely wasn't! But the broadcast went pretty well anyway. Link is above. :D
Wag more.
Bark less.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Wed May 21, 2014 8:08 pm

KR Wordgazer wrote:If anyone wants to listen to a recording of the broadcast (warning: it's an hour long!) the link is here:

http://www.moodyradio.org/upfordebate/

After a few days it will be moved to the "past programs" section:

http://www.moodyradio.org/brd_ProgramAr ... ?id=100745

I figured it out. I'm listening now. these people have such predictable opinions.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Wed May 21, 2014 8:26 pm

you did great Kristen. that guy was way out classed. he was not a bad guy. he's seeking to lord it over women, but he doesn't really know that much. I was impressed that he knew the other uses ezer. Help meet used of God. that was good. But really you way out classed him in knowledge. I like your speaking voice, you are good public speaker. You both seemed nervous at first.

you did really good.

KR Wordgazer

Post by KR Wordgazer » Wed May 21, 2014 9:57 pm

Thanks, Joe! So happy you listened to it! I think the guy had a lot more experience public speaking than I do-- but I'm glad you think I did ok anyway. :D

I think he was simply a nice guy caught in a bad theology and trying to soften it as much as possible. Still, he had nothing really to offer the woman who called in whose husband had been marginalizing her during their whole 50-year marriage. He couldn't address the real issue, which was the huge power imbalance within marriage which is created by the "male headship" doctrine.
Wag more.
Bark less.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Thu May 22, 2014 5:51 am

KR Wordgazer wrote:Thanks, Joe! So happy you listened to it! I think the guy had a lot more experience public speaking than I do-- but I'm glad you think I did ok anyway. :D

I think he was simply a nice guy caught in a bad theology and trying to soften it as much as possible. Still, he had nothing really to offer the woman who called in whose husband had been marginalizing her during their whole 50-year marriage. He couldn't address the real issue, which was the huge power imbalance within marriage which is created by the "male headship" doctrine.
I know. they just can't see it. If they admitted that they would have to admit their whole view of self and others is double talk.