wired unknown shows

Lighter discourse: tell jokes, discuss film, art, books, poetry, whatever makes you feel good.

Moderator:Metacrock

Metacrock
wired unknown shows

Post by Metacrock » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:13 pm

Discovered three sh0ows in the 60w I knew nothing about. They all seem like they might have been good, for some reason didn't go over.

al were between 65-7.

Love on a roof top. starred Peter duel and I can't remember the women. Dual was Jones, the original, on Alias Smith and Jones. or anyway he was Hanibal Hayes I know that. This man and woman fal in love but can't find an apartment they can offerd. So she rents the stairwell leading to the roof. they use the roof of a big building as their patio.

Trials of O'Brian starring Peter Faulk (Columbo)hE DID NOT LOOK, TALK, OR ACT LIKE AN O'Brian. It WAS ONLY ONA FEW EPISODES. he was a lawyer. First episode guest star was Alan Alda.

The Loner Starring Loyd Bridges. Sea Hunt. Created by Rod Serling. He was a cowboy traveling the old West. He tried to break the mold on tv esterns mnot have q bunch of shoot outs but peo[le found it boring.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

Jim B.

Re: wired unknown shows

Post by Jim B. » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:41 am

As for weird shows, I remember one called "Zacherley". It was on in the New York area when I was a kid. The host, you guessed it, Zacherley, showed a movie, usually a monster, horror or sci fi film, and he also appeared in segments interspersed through the movie in character, a ghoulish mad scientist performing experiments on "dead bodies," obvioulsy dummies. It sounds morbid but it was really funny; I remember he would use heads of cauliflower as the brains he would remove from the 'bodies', etc. He had a wry and pretty wicked sense of humor.

Also the Soupy sales show, tho well known, was actually kinda weird. We grew up watching it so we didn't really notice how surreal it was and what a weird character Soupy was.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:55 pm

Jim B. wrote:As for weird shows, I remember one called "Zacherley". It was on in the New York area when I was a kid. The host, you guessed it, Zacherley, showed a movie, usually a monster, horror or sci fi film, and he also appeared in segments interspersed through the movie in character, a ghoulish mad scientist performing experiments on "dead bodies," obvioulsy dummies. It sounds morbid but it was really funny; I remember he would use heads of cauliflower as the brains he would remove from the 'bodies', etc. He had a wry and pretty wicked sense of humor.

Also the Soupy sales show, tho well known, was actually kinda weird. We grew up watching it so we didn't really notice how surreal it was and what a weird character Soupy was.
Our version of that was a guy named Bill Canfield who was salon a beloved character who showed Popeye and three stoodgies and had great comic instincts, that character was called "Icy Twerp on slam bang theater. Here's s thoimng put together by his son showing thye theme music. I feel so good hearing that.

theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw1IL_UYSSc

more about him, he had a very painful life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bI014exCHo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8sGIQUtPDI

Pretty infantile but it really takes me back

Jim B.

Post by Jim B. » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:42 pm

Metacrock wrote:
Jim B. wrote:As for weird shows, I remember one called "Zacherley". It was on in the New York area when I was a kid. The host, you guessed it, Zacherley, showed a movie, usually a monster, horror or sci fi film, and he also appeared in segments interspersed through the movie in character, a ghoulish mad scientist performing experiments on "dead bodies," obvioulsy dummies. It sounds morbid but it was really funny; I remember he would use heads of cauliflower as the brains he would remove from the 'bodies', etc. He had a wry and pretty wicked sense of humor.

Our version of that was a guy named Bill Canfield who was salon a beloved character who showed Popeye and three stoodgies and had great comic instincts, that character was called "Icy Twerp on slam bang theater. Here's s thoimng put together by his son showing thye theme music. I feel so good hearing that.

theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw1IL_UYSSc

more about him, he had a very painful life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bI014exCHo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8sGIQUtPDI

Pretty infantile but it really takes me back
I remember watching Icky when we came down to Texas to visit my Mom's family. It was a fun show.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:49 am

It was so infantile!

met

Post by met » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:15 am

As for weird shows, I remember one called "Zacherley". It was on in the New York area when I was a kid. The host, you guessed it, Zacherley, showed a movie, usually a monster, horror or sci fi film, and he also appeared in segments interspersed through the movie in character, a ghoulish mad scientist performing experiments on "dead bodies," obvioulsy dummies. It sounds morbid but it was really funny; I remember he would use heads of cauliflower as the brains he would remove from the 'bodies', etc. He had a wry and pretty wicked sense of humor.
Early 70's - KIRO TV Seattle - "Science Fiction Theater" - friday nights. That same kind of character....prob'ly copped from the NY scene?
Oddly, Soupy Sale's two sons grew up to be the rhythm section in a David Bowie project in the 90's (along with a guitarist named Reeves Gabrels): a grung-ish/arsty band called "Tin Machine" that made 3 or 4 albums, I think. Pretty good rock players....
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

Jim B.

Post by Jim B. » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:32 pm

met wrote:
Early 70's - KIRO TV Seattle - "Science Fiction Theater" - friday nights. That same kind of character....prob'ly copped from the NY scene?
Very likely. He gained a very wide rep. His show was called "Chiller Theater."
met wrote:
Oddly, Soupy Sale's two sons grew up to be the rhythm section in a David Bowie project in the 90's (along with a guitarist named Reeves Gabrels): a grung-ish/arsty band called "Tin Machine" that made 3 or 4 albums, I think. Pretty good rock players....
Interesting. I didn't know that. It's not that odd, tho, since Soupy was kindofa "hep cat". I think he was a jazz musician at one point. What's really bizarre is that there was this Kid's Show host in Dallas back in the '70's known as Mr. Peppermint, a real mild-mannered, Mister Rogers kind of character. His son became one of the founding members of a big-time Austin band known as The Butthole Surfers. Can you say "Butthole Surfers"? :D :lol:

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:22 am

Whirly birds and rip cord man those take me back. I was about4 when KI watched those.