You are wrong

Discuss arguments for existence of God and faith in general. Any aspect of any orientation toward religion/spirituality, as long as it is based upon a positive open to other people attitude.

Moderator:Metacrock

Metacrock
Re: You are wrong

Post by Metacrock » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:29 am

Dutch wrote:Animals can discern right and wrong too, it's not really a unique feature of mankind. In fact, I think mankind does it rather poorly. We all too often discern right and wrong based on emotions that lead us to conclude something is right, when it is evidently wrong.
No they don't. you are denuding the concept of the moral content and reducing it to behavior. WE can't think animals are making moral decisions just because they do behaviors. It's not a decision if it's instinct and moral is about decision making.

Metacrock wrote:I agree with that. that's one area where atheists are weakest, not because they are bad people. They lose the foundation for the good and just live on religious memories when they quite belief in God.
DutchCase in point. Religion often teaches something is good, despite its effects being evidently destructive. The problem is that because people are emotionally bound to their religious conviction, they 'short circuit' on these issues and are unwilling/unable to understand the logical consequences of their actions.
I think that's a misconception based upon stereo types. can you give me an example?
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:30 am

fleetmouse wrote:
Dutch wrote:Case in point. Religion often teaches something is good, despite its effects being evidently destructive. The problem is that because people are emotionally bound to their religious conviction, they 'short circuit' on these issues and are unwilling/unable to understand the logical consequences of their actions.
Many religious people are strongly narrativist - they preserve their worldview at all costs, often with absurd seeming ad hoc rationalizations, rather than admit being wrong or holding harmful ideas. They consider any challenge to the worldview as looming absurdity and meaninglessness. It's a brittle paradigm that brooks no flexibility.
That's a super stereotype. If it was true that can't survive a paradigm shift why didn't it die out in the ancient world?

Religion is not only very flexible but we can see the paradigm shifting for fundametnalism in Christianity even as we watch. all of these "integral Christianity" and the "emerging chruch" these are the result of paradigm shift, these are the people who are starting to live in the new paradigm.

Dutch

Post by Dutch » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:59 am

Metacrock wrote:No they don't. you are denuding the concept of the moral content and reducing it to behavior. WE can't think animals are making moral decisions just because they do behaviors. It's not a decision if it's instinct and moral is about decision making.
1) Who says decision making is anything more than instinct?
2) Who says animals can't make decisions?

Both of these questions need to be answered before you can make the above claim. Not so much the "who", more whether or not you are making assumptions based on your desires, rather than facts.

A fact for question 1): Research has shown that decisions are made on a neurological level, before we become aware of them.

A fact for question 2): Observations have been made (I think it was in the UK) of dolphins guiding a young whale from a river back to open waters. Why would they do that if they behaved purely on instinct?

Just examples that should indicate that it is not all as black and white as you might prefer.
Metacrock wrote:I think that's a misconception based upon stereo types. can you give me an example?
Is it right to help save starving children in third world countries? (This is what I consider typical "Christian" behavior, often based on a sense of moral obligation. Not necessarily absent in non-Christians, but I think you'll agree it is often stronger among Christians.)

fleetmouse

Post by fleetmouse » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:20 am

Metacrock wrote:
fleetmouse wrote:
Dutch wrote:Case in point. Religion often teaches something is good, despite its effects being evidently destructive. The problem is that because people are emotionally bound to their religious conviction, they 'short circuit' on these issues and are unwilling/unable to understand the logical consequences of their actions.
Many religious people are strongly narrativist - they preserve their worldview at all costs, often with absurd seeming ad hoc rationalizations, rather than admit being wrong or holding harmful ideas. They consider any challenge to the worldview as looming absurdity and meaninglessness. It's a brittle paradigm that brooks no flexibility.
That's a super stereotype. If it was true that can't survive a paradigm shift why didn't it die out in the ancient world?
The beliefs of religious conservatives change when the people holding them die. That's why religion changes glacially, generationally. There are also people who can learn new things and change in a single lifetime, sometimes many times over. Those are called liberals. Conservatism and religion are strongly associated, as are liberalism and secularism. This is not to say that there are no religious liberals or secular conservatives.
Religion is not only very flexible but we can see the paradigm shifting for fundametnalism in Christianity even as we watch. all of these "integral Christianity" and the "emerging chruch" these are the result of paradigm shift, these are the people who are starting to live in the new paradigm.
Wel, good. I'm glad there are exceptions to the tidal waves of ignorant fundamentalism I see swelling and breaking all over the world.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:55 pm

Dutch wrote:
Metacrock wrote:No they don't. you are denuding the concept of the moral content and reducing it to behavior. WE can't think animals are making moral decisions just because they do behaviors. It's not a decision if it's instinct and moral is about decision making.
1) Who says decision making is anything more than instinct?
what are you a Daleck? "exterminate!" Exterminate!"

2) Who says animals can't make decisions?
I have no evidence that they make moral depictions. they make little depictions such s "fetch." they don't ask "why am I here?" Is there a dogie heaven that will go to in the end? maybe they do but I have no reason to think they do. I never seem the deliberate when they fight. I never see a dog turn the other cheek. Maybe we can't see the deliberateness.
Both of these questions need to be answered before you can make the above claim. Not so much the "who", more whether or not you are making assumptions based on your desires, rather than facts.
I think I answer them pretty effectively. I make decisions. I think long and hard about moral decisions. I know the criteria i use for making them I know the reductions bull shit tricks of losing phenomena that would reduce humans to the level of pond scum so science types can feel in control. No question in my mind that I make decisions because I deliberate.

I have no reason to think dogs make decisions and that's enough for me. I know cats don't because they are stupid.

A fact for question 1): Research has shown that decisions are made on a neurological level, before we become aware of them.
bull shit! I know that research that is crap! it's based upon assumptions of ideology about the nature of consciousness and losing the phenomena.

the data about God part of the brain is garbage because it's done without the M scale they have no control mechanism for knowing a religious experience is. yet they insist on assertion that they have proved something I think this is the same kind of deal.
A fact for question 2): Observations have been made (I think it was in the UK) of dolphins guiding a young whale from a river back to open waters. Why would they do that if they behaved purely on instinct?
how do you prove there's no instinct for helping? you have no evidence they deliberated about it.

Just examples that should indicate that it is not all as black and white as you might prefer.
when did I say it's black and white? Its' red and blue.
Metacrock wrote:I think that's a misconception based upon stereo types. can you give me an example?
Is it right to help save starving children in third world countries? (This is what I consider typical "Christian" behavior, often based on a sense of moral obligation. Not necessarily absent in non-Christians, but I think you'll agree it is often stronger among Christians.)[/quote]

I yes that's so utterly stupid. anyone can see we should allow starving people to die so they wont over populate the earth. but why wait? why don't we help them along? I have a little modest proposal on that, kill two birds with one stone ("birds" so to speak). why just let them die? that's such a waste.

since we are playing God why don't we just make Soylent Green? or is that what you are getting at?

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:51 pm

Metacrock wrote: I yes that's so utterly stupid. anyone can see we should allow starving people to die so they wont over populate the earth. but why wait? why don't we help them along? I have a little modest proposal on that, kill two birds with one stone ("birds" so to speak). why just let them die? that's such a waste.

since we are playing God why don't we just make Soylent Green? or is that what you are getting at?
Well, If you want to get all utilitarian, I guess the answer would be forced sterilization or something like the one-child policy. Depends on what you consider to be intrinsically good. (granted I disagree completely, Virtue ethics FTW)
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:41 pm

mdsimpson92 wrote:
Metacrock wrote: I yes that's so utterly stupid. anyone can see we should allow starving people to die so they wont over populate the earth. but why wait? why don't we help them along? I have a little modest proposal on that, kill two birds with one stone ("birds" so to speak). why just let them die? that's such a waste.

Well, If you want to get all utilitarian, I guess the answer would be forced sterilization or something like the one-child policy. Depends on what you consider to be intrinsically good. (granted I disagree completely, Virtue ethics FTW)
If we eat them we have a food supply for the lower classes. did you know the reference to soylent Green?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070723/

did you catch the reference to modest proposal? It's a sarcasm.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:43 pm

btw Miles, this thread gives me a wonderful excuse to tell people they are wrong.

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:01 pm

Metacrock wrote:
mdsimpson92 wrote:

If we eat them we have a food supply for the lower classes. did you know the reference to soylent Green?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070723/

did you catch the reference to modest proposal? It's a sarcasm.
Sorry, been a while since I even heard of it.
Metacrock wrote:btw Miles, this thread gives me a wonderful excuse to tell people they are wrong.
So your an error theorist. :mrgreen: Yeah moral nihilism :ugeek:

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:05 pm

Also just to cover everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY

By the way, I just ordered "Panentheism:the other God of Philosophers" which has a criticism section. when I am done I will be sure to bring up his critique and alternative (the author is a classical theist).