how to make football better

Lighter discourse: tell jokes, discuss film, art, books, poetry, whatever makes you feel good.

Moderator:Metacrock

Metacrock
how to make football better

Post by Metacrock » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:43 am

Pissed at cowboys, as usual. I've been watching football over weekend. I saw the Notre Dame game and can't remember who they played.

Why do we count by 6 and 7s in football? It's stupid. we should have 1 touch down for 5 points. Then no extra points. what's the point of them? They almost never miss them. what good are they? No more field goals. If they can't make a touch down they don't deserve to score. We might allow field goals for 1 point in overtime or something.

Then all those downs they never play. You have 2nd down and you make a first down. There's two downs you don't play. So the team that saves up the most un played downs should bet another free touchdown.

what about free through? like basket ball there should be an easy chance to score as a punishment. So if you rough the passer the other team gets to through a pass and you can't cover the receiver except in the end zone. you could have guys down there waiting for him.

To make it safer no more blocking or hitting, but pay freeze tag. We have to make it more exciting again so we'll make the last five yards of the red zone be a 10 foot deep snake pit filled with cobras.

how to make baseball better:

what's with all these "strikes" when they don't swing? what's with all these "balls?" Stupid. no more strike zone. No more balls, you get one swing if you miss your out.

You can only stay on a base 30 seconds and then you have to steal. to make it more exciting we will put a flame thrower between 3d and home.

How to make Golf more exciting:

make them pay football.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

met

Re: how to make football better

Post by met » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:04 pm

Good simplifying idea. Football is pretty much the only major sport with more than one way to score.
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:18 am

met wrote:Good simplifying idea. Football is pretty much the only major sport with more than one way to score.
I was wondering if anyone was going to take me up on it. It's also the most violent don't you think? Except for the fans. European football is more violent if you consider the fan riots.

met

Post by met » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:06 pm

Watchin' the Seahawks-49er's game a couple weeks ago, it was 5-0, the Seahawks had the ball within field goal range. I was telling Betta: "There's only one way the score could get to 5-0 - field goal and a safety touch - but if it goes to 8-0 then there will be, um let's see.... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.... 6, at least 6 different ways that could have happened, the score could have got to that. " :)

Hockey - NHL hockey- used to compete with football in terms of violence. It was pretty violent some years ago, but not so much anymore. They've cleaned it up. They call penalties by the book and make the players play more-or-less within the written rules now & don't blow the whistle only when there's an flagrant and obvious attempt at a murder. More of a speed game now.

.. and here, in Vancouver, we too have a grand tradition of rioting and trashing our downtown core bigtime whenever our NHL team loses the 7th game of a Stanley Cup championship series. Doesn't happen all that often, luckily....
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:19 am

met wrote:Watchin' the Seahawks-49er's game a couple weeks ago, it was 5-0, the Seahawks had the ball within field goal range. I was telling Betta: "There's only one way the score could get to 5-0 - field goal and a safety touch - but if it goes to 8-0 then there will be, um let's see.... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.... 6, at least 6 different ways that could have happened, the score could have got to that. " :)

Hockey - NHL hockey- used to compete with football in terms of violence. It was pretty violent some years ago, but not so much anymore. They've cleaned it up. They call penalties by the book and make the players play more-or-less within the written rules now & don't blow the whistle only when there's an flagrant and obvious attempt at a murder. More of a speed game now.

.. and here, in Vancouver, we too have a grand tradition of rioting and trashing our downtown core bigtime whenever our NHL team loses the 7th game of a Stanley Cup championship series. Doesn't happen all that often, luckily....

yes well the multiplicity of scoring may make it more interesting. May be a mistake to stream line it. I think the bit about the snake pit is the real invocation.

met

Post by met » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:05 pm

I think a snake pit in the end zone will lead to a lot of field goal kicking if you don't get rid of the field goal ... ;)
Dr Ward Blanton

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:44 am

met wrote:I think a snake pit in the end zone will lead to a lot of field goal kicking if you don't get rid of the field goal ... ;)
I don't think the NFL is ready for my advanced ideas. :mrgreen:

JBSptfn

Post by JBSptfn » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:42 pm

Metacrock wrote:
met wrote:I think a snake pit in the end zone will lead to a lot of field goal kicking if you don't get rid of the field goal ... ;)
I don't think the NFL is ready for my advanced ideas. :mrgreen:
No. They are too busy taking videos of old games down from You Tube, promoting this era as the "glory days", and covering up the concussion issue.