No one likes Japanese films?

Lighter discourse: tell jokes, discuss film, art, books, poetry, whatever makes you feel good.

Moderator:Metacrock

Metacrock
No one likes Japanese films?

Post by Metacrock » Sat May 17, 2014 5:59 am

I have been having "film fest friday" on my blogs,where I just do my home spun version of film review. I find that the La Dulce Vita review was wildly popular. I Have no idea why. It was like four times more read than any other I've done. All the Filini reviews were widely read, I did four of them. The Brighty of the Grand Canon (Norman Foster) and Leggond of Boggy Creek even were well read for my blog.

I put up the Rashomon (Kurasawa) no one will read it. It got 11 people reading it. It's pathetic. I know it's a foreign culture and people might have trouble feeling connection to it. Americans anyway. but I thought we would have out grown that.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

KR Wordgazer

Re: No one likes Japanese films?

Post by KR Wordgazer » Wed May 28, 2014 5:42 pm

I love Japanese anime - especially Hayao Miyasaki's films like My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away and The Wind Rises. About Miyasaki:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0594503/

My husband loves the old Japanese monster films.

I have no idea why no one is interested in Rashomon. I'm not familiar with it myself.
Wag more.
Bark less.

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Thu May 29, 2014 11:37 am

KR Wordgazer wrote:I love Japanese anime - especially Hayao Miyasaki's films like My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away and The Wind Rises. About Miyasaki:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0594503/

My husband loves the old Japanese monster films.

I have no idea why no one is interested in Rashomon. I'm not familiar with it myself.
I am talking about their art films. It guess it's hard enough just to get people to care about art film.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:35 pm

Metacrock, you should watch Spirited Away. It's art film, even though it's a cartoon. Miyazaki is a genius.

I really should check out some Kurosawa though.
One of the hallmarks of freedom is that when you recognize someone is being intellectually dishonest or arguing with you in bad faith, you have the option to walk away without being punished, imprisoned or tortured.

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:19 pm

Magritte wrote:Metacrock, you should watch Spirited Away. It's art film, even though it's a cartoon. Miyazaki is a genius.

I need to check out Kurosawa. For Miyazaki and Ghibli films (sorry about spelling). Princess Mononoke and Grave of the Fireflies.

I also really like one film called "13 Assassins" that came out in the last 4 years.

In terms of anime. I love Cowboy Bebop. By the way. Fleet, did you ever finish watching it?
Julia: It's all... a dream...
Spike Spiegel: Yeah... just a dream...

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:19 pm

Magritte wrote:Metacrock, you should watch Spirited Away. It's art film, even though it's a cartoon. Miyazaki is a genius.

I need to check out Kurosawa. For Miyazaki and Ghibli films (sorry about spelling). Princess Mononoke and Grave of the Fireflies.

I also really like one film called "13 Assassins" that came out in the last 4 years.

In terms of anime. I love Cowboy Bebop. By the way. Fleet, did you ever finish watching it?

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:41 am

No, I wanted to hunt around and get a version that had subs and original dialogue. The English just wasn't cutting it somehow. I find that makes a huge difference in anime. It changes the emotional tone of the experience. There are some series on Netflix where you can select English or Japanese voices and the difference is huge.

Have you seen Attack on Titan? I loved it but that's a good example of something that just wouldn't work with an English dub. The emotions are so Japanese-operatic, so to speak, and it would be stilted and awkward.
One of the hallmarks of freedom is that when you recognize someone is being intellectually dishonest or arguing with you in bad faith, you have the option to walk away without being punished, imprisoned or tortured.

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:24 pm

Princess Mononoke, BTW, is one that was ruined for me by the English dub. Billy Bob Thornton, ugh. After the passage of enough time I'll try it again with Japanese audio and subs.

Grave of the Fireflies is the saddest thing I've ever seen. I felt on the edge of tears for at least a week after watching it. I used to say that it made me a permanently sadder person, but I've recovered over the years. I don't think I could sit through it again now that I have a kid... it would crush me.

mdsimpson92

Post by mdsimpson92 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:51 pm

Magritte wrote:No, I wanted to hunt around and get a version that had subs and original dialogue. The English just wasn't cutting it somehow. I find that makes a huge difference in anime. It changes the emotional tone of the experience. There are some series on Netflix where you can select English or Japanese voices and the difference is huge.

Have you seen Attack on Titan? I loved it but that's a good example of something that just wouldn't work with an English dub. The emotions are so Japanese-operatic, so to speak, and it would be stilted and awkward.
Yes, I have. The intro to that show is insane.

As for Bebop. I'm actually a tad surprised, because the English dub is generally considered to be better than the Japanese for that show, even by the show's director. Granted, that is probably given the generally Western style that is largely present in Cowboy Bebop.

Yeah, the dub for Princess Mononoke is.....off.

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:07 pm

mdsimpson92 wrote:Yes, I have. The intro to that show is insane.
Ha ha yes! I've had Flügel der Freiheit in my head solid and it won't go away. The only thing that can chase it out is Abba. I heard season 2 comes this month.
As for Bebop. I'm actually a tad surprised, because the English dub is generally considered to be better than the Japanese for that show, even by the show's director. Granted, that is probably given the generally Western style that is largely present in Cowboy Bebop.
Really! OK then, I'll give it another shot in English. I had the mistaken perception that I was missing out. I just started Knights of Sidonia tho, will probably watch that first.