Žižek welcomes you to the gym

Lighter discourse: tell jokes, discuss film, art, books, poetry, whatever makes you feel good.

Moderator:Metacrock

Magritte
Žižek welcomes you to the gym

Post by Magritte » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:56 pm

"In 1981, singer, actress Olivia Newton-John is performing in a musical video for her song “Physical.” Olivia Newton-John is in the gym, not sweating, wearing headband and leotard, doing aerobics. Why is she not sweating? To answer this question, we need to reverse it and ask: Why are we not wearing a headband and leotard? And why are we sweating?

Then, I think, the meaning is clear. We are sitting in front of the TV, being couch potato, watching the illusion of nudity—which is the leotard—and the symbolism of discipline: the headband. She is doing all the work for us. She is getting physical.

With that in our minds, today we are going to do an upper-body workout with weights and the machines. OK!"

and it goes on like that...!

I can't help hearing this in his voice when I read it. The writer has his diction down cold.
One of the hallmarks of freedom is that when you recognize someone is being intellectually dishonest or arguing with you in bad faith, you have the option to walk away without being punished, imprisoned or tortured.

met

Re: Žižek welcomes you to the gym

Post by met » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:11 pm

http://gawker.com/slavoj-zizek-sorta-ki ... 1604590014

I'm not sure what this proves?

There IS NO God?

There IS a God after all?

Whichever. The proof is final.....
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:21 am

If he's clever, and he is, he'll riff this into a book on the nature of memory, writing, technology, collaboration and the authorial voice in late capitalism. OK!
One of the hallmarks of freedom is that when you recognize someone is being intellectually dishonest or arguing with you in bad faith, you have the option to walk away without being punished, imprisoned or tortured.

met

Post by met » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:33 am

Yeah. And maybe he could title it, Writing and Difference? That'd be funny....
The “One” is the space of the “world” of the tick, but also the “pinch” of the lobster, or that rendezvous in person to confirm online pictures (with a new lover or an old God). This is the machinery operative...as “onto-theology."
Dr Ward Blanton

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:18 am

met wrote:Yeah. And maybe he could title it, Writing and Difference? That'd be funny....
:mrgreen:

I really should read that, actually. I haven't paid much attention to the contintentals.

met

Post by met » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:26 pm

Peter Rollins says there's a really funny utube vid with Zizek debating a fundamentalist, while playing his role as the atheist theologian. They get round to discussing this passage, the following statement by Jesus.
. If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters--yes, even his own life--he cannot be my disciple.
... to which the fundamentalist says, "well you can't take that entirely literally."

.... And Zizek replies: "No, no, NO! You must take him ENTIRELY literally!"

But, alas, I couldn't locate it. :(

The big name post-structuralists all write "en francois" and even in English translations the mindset, style and vibe is still really "French" (in various subtle & kinda inarticulate ways). So it helps to have some French which, it's quite likely as you live in Montreal, you do?
Dr Ward Blanton

Magritte

Post by Magritte » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:22 pm

My French is embarrassingly bad, especially to tackle this kind of wordplay laden thing. I guess there are editions with a translation on facing pages?

(if you do find that video post a link, that sounds too funny)

Metacrock

Post by Metacrock » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:09 am

this is all beyond me.
Have Theology, Will argue: wire Metacrock
Buy My book: The Trace of God: Warrant for belief

met

Post by met » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:05 pm

Dr Ward Blanton